Topics

Winlink Wednesday

Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC

John,

Yes, Winlink is part of the exercise on November 9th.  We will be promulgating information about the report that we want to received via Winlink this weekend.  Please stay tuned in this forum as well as the arrlntx.org site for information about the SET on November 9th as it unfolds.

Greg Evans, K5GTX

ARRL NTX SEC

ARRL NTX ASM

WINLINK: ARES-NTXSEC

From: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Hill - KF5VO
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 6:54 AM
To: section@arrlntx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ARRLNTX] Winlink Wednesday

Thank you all for checking in!

For the trivia question, "How many children have been seriously injured or killed from poisoned candy given to them by strangers during Halloween?", the answer from my source is:

Zero 
There have been a few cases of family members tampering with candy and blaming it on strangers. There have also been numerous false alarms where an illness was thought to be caused from Halloween candy but later was discovered to be something else entirely. Also there have been a tiny number of instances of sharp objects put into candy by strangers. But luckily no one has ever been seriously hurt by one of those objects.

Remember, the West Gulf division SET is on November 9th. I have no idea if Winlink will be involved, but if it is, and you've been checking in to this net, you're one step ahead of most on how to do it.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have no more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday. If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

John Hill - KF5VO

It's that time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

This coming Saturday is the SET for the West Gulf Division. You can find more information about it here: http://arrlntx.org/news/29/56/West-Gulf-Division-SET-Fall-2019

You can send Winlink messages to KT5CCG and/or to ARES-NTXSEC for the SET.

In the Comment box of the Winlink Check-in form for this week, let me know if you will be participating in the SET exercise.

Remember, check-ins start officially at 12:00 am on Wednesday. Otherwise,  I may have to come up with a different name for the net.

Other instructions:

Use the "Winlink Check In" template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

IF YOU ARE USING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WINLINK TO CHECK IN:
In the body of the message, place the following information separated by a tab. This is how the information is sent if you are using the Winlink form. It makes it much easier for me to tally the results.

date time <tab> call sign <tab> call sign <tab> location <tab> ham band <tab> session type

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

John Hill - KF5VO

Thank you all for checking in! And welcome to all the new check-ins for this week.

Looks like quite a few of you will be participating in the S.E.T. this coming weekend. For more information about that, you can view the website: http://arrlntx.org/news

Next week we'll have some Thanksgiving trivia. So, dust off those googling skills.

I have no more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday. If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

John Hill - KF5VO

In the Comment box of the Winlink Check-in form for this week, let me know:

Who is the Emergency Coordinator (EC) for your area and how do you contact the EC?

Remember, check-ins start officially at 12:00 am on Wednesday. Otherwise,  I may have to come up with a different name for the net.

Other instructions:

Use the "Winlink Check In" template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

In the body of the message, place the following information separated by a tab. This is how the information is sent if you are using the Winlink form. It makes it much easier for me to tally the results.

date time <tab> call sign <tab> call sign <tab> location <tab> ham band <tab> session type

Edward McGinley

John do you have a tutorial on how to set up winking? I downloaded winlink express and use a IC7300. What frequencies. What is the band plan for winlink?
Ed

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 21:45 John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

Who is the Emergency Coordinator (EC) for your area and how do you contact the EC?

Other instructions:

John Hill - KF5VO

My experience is with VHF / UHF. I've documented that in the link (https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home). There might be some info there that you can use as a guide to getting everything working. I do have a IC7300, but I haven't used it with Winlink yet.

As far as frequencies, right now we're just connecting to any gateway node. From what I've been told about HF, Winlink will try to pick the best gateway based upon propagation reports.

~John Hill
KF5VO

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, November 13, 2019 2:59 pm

John do you have a tutorial on how to set up winking? I downloaded winlink express and use a IC7300. What frequencies. What is the band plan for winlink?
Ed

Other instructions:

Richard S.

YouTube is your friend.  There are dozens if not hundreds of videos on WinLink / RMS Express.

On Nov 13, 2019, at 7:01 PM, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

My experience is with VHF / UHF. I've documented that in the link (https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home). There might be some info there that you can use as a guide to getting everything working. I do have a IC7300, but I haven't used it with Winlink yet.

As far as frequencies, right now we're just connecting to any gateway node. From what I've been told about HF, Winlink will try to pick the best gateway based upon propagation reports.

~John Hill
KF5VO

Ed

Other instructions:

Ron Ford

I have a 7300 and followed the help files and got everything set up with little effort.

Ron KF5OMH

From: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard S.
Sent: November 13, 2019 19:06

YouTube is your friend.  There are dozens if not hundreds of videos on WinLink / RMS Express.

On Nov 13, 2019, at 7:01 PM, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

~John Hill

KF5VO

texasfiremedic1432@...>
To:
section@arrlntx.groups.io

Ed

Other instructions:

Use the "Winlink Check In" template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the
Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page.
https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

John Hill - KF5VO

Thank you all for checking in! And welcome to all the new check-ins for this week.

The question this week was:

As always, I did enjoy reading the responses. If you are a local EC, please read through the attached spreadsheet at the comments, even from people not in your area. There may be info there that could lead to training sessions.

Next week we'll get to that Thanksgiving trivia, unless someone has a better question for me to ask the group.

Ben Parker

Hey John,

I am the Delta County EC and I have been inactive for a while. I retired for a second time in 2017 and recently was contacted by Steve Davoust to help out in our county with Emergency Communications. There are not many active hams in Delta Co. and I feel that just being ready to help out if there I some real emergency might be enhanced by being able to communicate in more than one mode. Back in the late 1980s I was on Packet radio but sold my TNC. I understand there are more ways to access Winlink and not necessarily directly through Ham Radio. 

I have both VHF/UHF and HF capability so if I were to get involved with Winlink initially I wouldn't necessarily need a TNC (correct me if I am wrong). I don't have a tower but I have a 30' pole I am planning on putting a 2M 11 element beam up for 2M SSB this winter.

To keep from rambling too much, what do I need at this point in time do I need to get involved wit Winlink?

Thanks,
Ben Parker, 
Delta County EC
Cooper, Texas

On Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10:03:20 AM CST, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

As always, I did enjoy reading the responses. If you are a local EC, please read through the attached spreadsheet at the comments, even from people not in your area. There may be info there that could lead to training sessions.

Next week we'll get to that Thanksgiving trivia, unless someone has a better question for me to ask the group.

Kevin Grantham

Depends on your radio or radios.

Generally speaking, you need to get a sound card connected to the radio to support a software modem in your computer. With a single sound card interface you can choose from packet (generally used for VHF and UHF as it’s not robust enough for HF), Winmor, Ardop or VARA.

How to get the sound card connected?

Some radios have a built-in sound card and a USB connection to your computer. Some have a six-pin mini-DIN connector and you can use any of a wide variety of sound cards and a suitable cable.

Some radios have proprietary connectors - if they are widely used radios there may be cable available, or you can make one.

Worst case is having to interface through the microphone and speaker connections.

So, that’s what you need. A Windows PC, some kind of a sound card, cable, and interface to the radio.

Kevin N5KRG
--

Kevin N5KRG

John Hill - KF5VO

Welcome to Winlink!

First, I would recommend reading the Winlink Wednesday web page here: https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

The net is a wonderful way to get involved with Winlink because it gives you someone to send e-mails to, and someone to send them back.

If you're reading this message, that means you already have an internet connection, and you already said you're a ham. That's all you need to get involve in the net. The intent is to learn the Winlink software as well as your radio station setup. If your radio station isn't set-up for Winlink, you can still use a Telnet session, which I believe may be what you're referring to about "not necessarily directly through Ham Radio".

For Radio sessions, you don't necessarily need a TNC. You can use a sound card device such as Signalink. Some of the HF radios have a sound card built in. If so, you can use that with a Winmor session. We have quite a few people checking into the net through HF gateways. If there are no VHF gateways near you, then HF would be one of the directions you can go. If there are VHF gateway nodes near you, then you can use a sound card device with VHF/UHF.

Hope to see you check in this coming Wednesday.

~John Hill
KF5VO

Date: Sat, November 16, 2019 9:12 pm
To: <section@arrlntx.groups.io>

Hey John,

I am the Delta County EC and I have been inactive for a while. I retired for a second time in 2017 and recently was contacted by Steve Davoust to help out in our county with Emergency Communications. There are not many active hams in Delta Co. and I feel that just being ready to help out if there I some real emergency might be enhanced by being able to communicate in more than one mode. Back in the late 1980s I was on Packet radio but sold my TNC. I understand there are more ways to access Winlink and not necessarily directly through Ham Radio. 

I have both VHF/UHF and HF capability so if I were to get involved with Winlink initially I wouldn't necessarily need a TNC (correct me if I am wrong). I don't have a tower but I have a 30' pole I am planning on putting a 2M 11 element beam up for 2M SSB this winter.

To keep from rambling too much, what do I need at this point in time do I need to get involved wit Winlink?

Thanks,
Ben Parker, 
Delta County EC
Cooper, Texas

On Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10:03:20 AM CST, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

John Hill - KF5VO

It's your weekly reminder for Winlink Wednesday!

First, I'd like to mention that I've started a Slack channel for Winlink Wednesday. If you're not familiar with Slack, it's a collaboration tool where you can chat as well as share screens. If you're having issues, and for whatever reason you think I could help, then let me know (kf5vo@...) and I can send you a link to the Slack channel. We could do voice chats with screen shares to walk through the process.

What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving. And, do you have any favorite traditions?

Other instructions:

John Hill - KF5VO

What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving. And, do you have any favorite traditions?

As always, I did enjoy reading the responses. I've very hungry right now.

I have started a Slack channel for Winlink Wednesday. If you are not familiar with Slack, it is a collaboration tool where you can chat as well as share screens. If you are having issues with Winlink, and for whatever reason you think I could help, then let me know (kf5vo@...) and I can send you a link to the Slack channel. We could do voice chats with screen shares to walk through the process.

Upcoming club presentations:
Feb 11 - McKinney Amateur Radio Club https://mckinneyarc.org/
??? - Bedford Amateur Radio Club https://bedfordarc.org/

If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

Aaron Hulett | K8AMH

During last evening’s Denton County ARES net I mentioned Winlink Wednesdays and gave the web page URL over the air, which was lengthy. I’ve shortened it using the Bitly service and you’re all welcome to use this if helpful: http://bit.ly/winlinkwednesday

Aaron | K8AMH

A person posing for the camera

Description automatically generated

Aaron Hulett  |  K8AMH

Section Traffic Manager

ARRL North Texas Section

P: 469 630 2528

E: k8amh@...

PO Box 479

Little Elm TX 75068-0479

www.arrlntx.org

From: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Hill - KF5VO
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 12:20

I have started a Slack channel for Winlink Wednesday. If you are not familiar with Slack, it is a collaboration tool where you can chat as well as share screens. If you are having issues with Winlink, and for whatever reason you think I could help, then let me know (kf5vo@...) and I can send you a link to the Slack channel. We could do voice chats with screen shares to walk through the process.

If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

Thanks Aaron

Yes, BitLy does come in handy at times :)

Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 5:27 PM Aaron Hulett | K8AMH <ahulett@...> wrote:

During last evening’s Denton County ARES net I mentioned Winlink Wednesdays and gave the web page URL over the air, which was lengthy. I’ve shortened it using the Bitly service and you’re all welcome to use this if helpful: http://bit.ly/winlinkwednesday

Aaron | K8AMH

A person posing for the camera

Description automatically generated

Aaron Hulett  |  K8AMH

Section Traffic Manager

ARRL North Texas Section

P: 469 630 2528

E: k8amh@...

PO Box 479

Little Elm TX 75068-0479

www.arrlntx.org

Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 12:20

John Hill - KF5VO

This week's check-in will be a two part. I will send instructions to part two on Friday morning. Those instructions will only go out to those who check-in on Wednesday.

'Tis the season to spend time with friends and family, so the comment will be along those lines. For this week in the comments, tell me (in two or three sentences) about the worst house guest you've ever had.

Other instructions:

John Hill - KF5VO

This is a two-for message today, so it is a bit long.

I got an e-mail  on my non-Winlink address from a ham that asked why they were not included on the check-in list. I looked through all my messages and could not find his call sign in any of the Winlink mailboxes I have set up. I asked if the message was in his Outbox instead of his Sent Items box. He sent a screen shot along with the Winlink message attached. With that message, there is a Message Id. I went to the Winlink web site and logged into my account. There on the splash page after logging in, there is a menu item on the left called "US Amateur Radio Message View". Going to the Viewer page, I changed the Filter Type drop-down box to "Message Id" and pasted the vale into the "Search for:" window. No results came back, which meant that message did not go through the Winlink mail servers. I then changed the Filter Type to "Gateway" and put the call sign of the RMS Gateway Node that was in the attached message. The most recent message that was sent from that gateway node was about a month and a half old. So, went to QRZ.com and put in the call sign of the gateway and got the e-mail address of the ham whose call sign belongs to the gateway. One quick e-mail to that gateway operator, with screen shots of the errors, and the gateway owner was able to determine the issue with his gateway. He fixed it, and I got quite a few Winlink messages from that gateway.

The point here is, if you think there might be issues with messages going out, please reach out to the gateway operator. More than likely, they will want to fix the issue and will be grateful that it was pointed out. This is a big part of the reason we have the Winlink Wednesday net, so that we know systems (ours and the gateways we connect to) are working for when we REALLY need them to be working. If you think I could be of help, I always put my non-Winlink e-mail address in the CC field when sending out Winlink messages.

Also, please do not send screen-shots using your Winlink account. Use regular non-Winlink e-mail to do that.

For the comments, tell me about your favorite memory of Christmas as a child.

Other instructions: