From: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io> on behalf of John Hill - KF5VO <john@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:58 AM
To: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ARRLNTX] Winlink Wednesday

Thank you all for checking in to the Winlink Wednesday net this week. We had a good turn-out despite the fact that I did not send any e-mails or reminders about this net. I apologize for that. I'm going to blame the holiday. When I have a Monday off from work, the rest of my days of the week get messed up.

For our Collin County folks, I've seen that the K5PRK-10 node was down. Here's a few thoughts on this. First, the good thing about Winlink Wednesday is that it puts these nodes in use, so there is a much quicker way of knowing when a node is down. How often were these nodes used before the net? Only the admin can tell for sure, but I'm certain it wasn't as much traffic since the net started. Second, this puts into practice what we have been doing the past two weeks. Were you able to connect to other nearby nodes, either directly or through digipeaters? There are nodes in Garland, Carrollton, Sherman, Denton.  You should have a list of web sites about nearby nodes that was sent last week. With checking into the net every week, try using different nearby nodes  to see if you can connect. Third, are you set up for other session types? If you normally connect with VHF, can you connect via HF? Telnet is always an option. Part of the spirit of the Winlink Wednesday net is to try all the options available.

For next week, I would like to ask if you plan on operating the Texas QSO party on September 14 & 15. If so, do you operate as an individual or with a club? Do you plan to operate mobile, portable, or home locations? If you're the least bit interested, there are several clubs in the area that operate as a club and would welcome any guests, no matter your license level. Give it some thought, even if it's just to see what's going on.

Shameless plug time...

I will be at the following club meetings to give a presentation over Winlink and Winlink Wednesday net:

8/10 - Lake Area Amateur Radio Klub (in The Colony)
9/10 - Metrocrest (Carrollton).

If you would like for me to do a similar presentation for your club, just ask.

John N5TIM

Sounds like a plan. When you get it up let me know and I will add it to the status report. It will be good to have a node in FT Worth.

Thanks, John

On 9/5/2019 8:13 AM, Richard S. wrote:
John,

I'm working on putting together a VHF packet gateway.  I've got all the components.  I'm just waiting on that new 26 hour day to kick in so I'll have the extra time.  It will be in SW Fort Worth once it's operational.

More info to follow as it becomes available.

Richard S.
KF5RHI

[...]

Mark

Hi John,

Curious about your WinLink presentation dates in your email, below. I visited the MARS page/calendar, but did not see one (or any club event) for Sep 10.

I would like to be at one of your presentations. What upcoming dates/venues will you be presenting?

73,
Mark N5TXZ

[...]

John Hill - KF5VO

I was off a month. Sigh... I contemplated using the month names, but instead picked the wrong number for the month.

Corrected dates should be:

September 10 - Lake Area Amateur Radio Klub (in The Colony)
October 10 - Metrocrest (Carrollton).

... Or, it could have been a test to see who was paying attention? Maybe?

~John Hill
KF5VO

[...]

OK, very good, and thanks John! Will try and make the LAARK meeting.

[...]

Finally, Winlink Wednesday has a home on the World Wide Web. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

For this week, I would like to ask if you plan on operating the Texas QSO party on September 14 & 15. If so, do you operate as an individual or with a club? Do you plan to operate mobile, portable, or home locations? If you're the least bit interested, there are several clubs in the area that operate as a club and would welcome any guests, no matter your license level. Give it some thought, even if it's just to see what's going on. Let me know in the comments.

Other instructions:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

Spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. This net is open to anyone with a Winlink account (which is free for licensed amateurs).

John Hill - KF5VO

We had another great week of check-ins this week! I've attached a list of the check-ins for you to review. Let me know if you checked in but didn't make it into the list.

Good luck to everyone that will be participating in the Texas QSO party this weekend. I'll be shuttling kids around since the wife has a training session she has to attend. I might get on the air a little between trips. Who knows.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

John Hill - KF5VO

It's time once again for Winlink Wednesday! Remember, check-ins start officially at 12:00 am on Wednesday. Otherwise, I may have to come up with a different name for the net.This week, I have no specific instructions as to what to put in the comment box. Come up with something creative.

Other instructions:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

John Hill - KF5VO

Wow, another great Winlink Wednesday. Welcome to all the new check-ins, and thank you for the returning check-ins! As always, included is the spreadsheets with all the check-ins for the week.

Looks like our friends on the south eastern side of the NTX section got a good deal of the remnants of Tropical Storm Imelda. I'm not in the loop with the activities happening or the shelters, but this is a good reason to use Winlink Wednesday as practice in case you are in a deployment situation.

I was reading through the latest QST magazine and noticed an article about Direwolf. Well, the article wasn't specifically about Direwolf, but was more about APRS station that used a Raspberry Pi and Direwolf software. Maybe there some application there that could be used for Winlink.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have two more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday.
Oct 10 - Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society in Carrollton www.kb5a.org
Oct 12 - Johnson County Amateur Radio Club in Cleburne http://w5jcr.com

[...]

The reason the list of check-ins wasn't sent to the whole group was because there was a surprise part 2 to the net. We had 68 check in to the net (awesome!), with 32 responding to the part 2. It was much fun.

Since we're starting the month of October today, let me know if you still dress up for Halloween. If so, what are you planning on for costume this year? If not, what was the last costume that you dressed up as?

Remember, check-ins start officially at 12:00 am on Wednesday. Otherwise, I may have to come up with a different name for the net.

Other instructions:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

IF YOU ARE USING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WINLINKE TO CHECK IN:
In the body of the message, place the following information seperated by a tab. This is how the information is sent if you are using the Winlink form. It makes it much easier for me to tally the results.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have two more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday.
Oct 10 ? Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society in Carrollton www.kb5a.org
Oct 12 - Johnson County Amateur Radio Club in Cleburne http://w5jcr.com

John Hill - KF5VO

Thank you all for the check ins this week. It was fun reading the comments. For next week, I may ask a trivia question that you can try to answer in the comments.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have two more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday.
Oct 10 ? Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society in Carrollton www.kb5a.org
Oct 12 - Johnson County Amateur Radio Club in Cleburne http://w5jcr.com

John Hill - KF5VO

It's time for the reminder for the Winlink Wednesday check in! This week the instructions for the comments are two fold. One is a trivia question, and the next is a personal question. Put the answers to both in the comment box of the form.

1. What is the SECOND most popular Halloween candy?
2. What is YOUR favorite candy (either as a kid, or adult. Doesn't have to be Halloween specific).

Remember, check-ins start officially at 12:00 am on Wednesday. Otherwise,  I may have to come up with a different name for the net.

Other instructions:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

IF YOU ARE USING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WINLINKE TO CHECK IN:
In the body of the message, place the following information separated by a tab. This is how the information is sent if you are using the Winlink form. It makes it much easier for me to tally the results.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have two more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday.
Oct 10 - Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society in Carrollton www.kb5a.org
Oct 12 - Johnson County Amateur Radio Club in Cleburne http://w5jcr.com

John Hill - KF5VO

According to the source where I found the trivia questions, here is the answer:

What candy is the SECOND most popular Halloween candy?
Candy corn
Chocolate dominates first place by a wide margin

After tallying the results and reading the comments, it occurred to me that it doesn't say WHERE this survey was done. Some other questions reference the US, some outside the US. Also, it doesn't say if it's the most popular candy to BUY, or the most popular to EAT. Big difference between the two. Anyway, what is more important is the second question, which was meant to be an obvious opinion. I had fun ready the comments. Thank you for sharing. Next week I'll ask a different trivia question that doesn't have to do with sweets.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have two more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday.
Oct 10 - Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society in Carrollton www.kb5a.org
Oct 12 - Johnson County Amateur Radio Club in Cleburne http://w5jcr.com

John Hill - KF5VO

It's time once again for Winlink Wednesday! Here is the trivia question for this week's comment. Remember, this is only as good as the source I randomly selected from the Internet. After all, if it's online, it must be true, correct?

The word Halloween is a contraction of what Christian holiday?

Remember, check-ins start officially at 12:00 am on Wednesday. Otherwise,  I may have to come up with a different name for the net.

Other instructions:

Use the "Winlink Check In" template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

IF YOU ARE USING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WINLINK TO CHECK IN:
In the body of the message, place the following information separated by a tab. This is how the information is sent if you are using the Winlink form. It makes it much easier for me to tally the results.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

John Hill - KF5VO

Thank you all for checking in! I would also like to thank the new check-ins. We have a few from Johnson county. I was happy to do the presentation for your club last week.

For the trivia question, "The word Halloween is a contraction of what Christian holiday?", the answer from my source is:

All Hallow’s Evening (All Hallows’ Even), a.k.a. All Hallows’ Eve, All Saint’s Eve, Allhalloween
In Scots “eve” is “even”. The “v” was eventually dropped, as well as the “all” and the “s” in Hallow’s. So All Hallow’s Even became Halloween. Halloween is the day before All Hallow’s Day (also known as All Saints Day) and is the first day of Allhallowtide which is a three-day celebration for Christian Saints.

See you next week on the Winlink Wednesday net!

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have no more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday. If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

John Hill - KF5VO

It's that time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

Fill out the form for check-ins as normal. For the comment, give the answer to the following question:

What popular fall festival activity did the Romans bring to Britain when they invaded?

[...]

For the trivia question, "What popular fall festival activity did the Romans bring to Britain when they invaded? ", the answer from my source is:

Bobbing for Apples. Another variation was also played where apples were hung from strings and contestants would have to try and bite into them.

There were other answers. If you looked them up on-line, we'll assume it's true.

See you next week on the Winlink Wednesday net!

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have no more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday. If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

John Hill - KF5VO

It's that time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

Fill out the form for check-ins as normal. For the comment, give the answer to the following question:

How many children have been seriously injured or killed from poisoned candy given to them by strangers during Halloween?

[...]

For the trivia question, "How many children have been seriously injured or killed from poisoned candy given to them by strangers during Halloween?", the answer from my source is:

Zero
There have been a few cases of family members tampering with candy and blaming it on strangers. There have also been numerous false alarms where an illness was thought to be caused from Halloween candy but later was discovered to be something else entirely. Also there have been a tiny number of instances of sharp objects put into candy by strangers. But luckily no one has ever been seriously hurt by one of those objects.

Remember, the West Gulf division SET is on November 9th. I have no idea if Winlink will be involved, but if it is, and you've been checking in to this net, you're one step ahead of most on how to do it.