Topics

Winlink Wednesday

John Hill - KF5VO

Tomorrow is Winlink Wednesday!

The instructions for this week's Winlink Wednesday are as follows:

Send a Winlink message to KF5VO.

Use the Winlink Check In template when checking in. As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt

Fill out the form.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and your grid square.

In the Comment Box, you can put whatever comment you'd like, just make sure to include your station setup that you are using to send the Winlink Message.

That is it! Hope to see you check in tomorrow!

AC5EZ

John,
I have a HCoL blast set for today. When you get it read it and let me know if you want me to change any part of it.
Ken, ac5ez

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 7:04 AM John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:
Tomorrow is Winlink Wednesday!

The instructions for this week's Winlink Wednesday are as follows:

Send a Winlink message to KF5VO.

Use the Winlink Check In template when checking in. As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt

Fill out the form.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and your grid square.

In the Comment Box, you can put whatever comment you'd like, just make sure to include your station setup that you are using to send the Winlink Message.

That is it! Hope to see you check in tomorrow!

Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC

Ken,

What is a HCoL Blast?

Greg Evans, K5GTX

ARRL NTX SEC

ARRL NTX ASM

[...]

Ken Hansen

HCoL = HamClub Online

Ken, N2VIP

On Jul 16, 2019, at 8:30 AM, Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC <sec@...> wrote:

Ken,

What is a HCoL Blast?

Greg Evans, K5GTX

ARRL NTX SEC

ARRL NTX ASM

[...]

Greg,
HCoL (Hamclubonline.com) is where most clubs maintain there membership and club data. It also has the ability to send out messages to ALL club members. The HCoL email blast is directed to LAARK members.
I thought I replied to John Hill only. I did not realize he created a group.io account.
Sorry for the confusion.
Ken, ac5ez

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 8:30 AM Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC <sec@...> wrote:

Ken,

What is a HCoL Blast?

Greg Evans, K5GTX

ARRL NTX SEC

ARRL NTX ASM

[...]

I'm guessing Ken meant to send that to me off list.

~John Hill
KF5VO

[...]

Today I learned...

That there are more than one types of grid squares. So much for standardization. So, what I meant below for grid square is the maiden-head grid square. This is what is shown in your QRZ.com profile under the "Detail" tab.

~John Hill
KF5VO

The instructions for this week's Winlink Wednesday are as follows:

Send a Winlink message to KF5VO.

Use the Winlink Check In template when checking in. As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt

Fill out the form.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and your grid square.

In the Comment Box, you can put whatever comment you'd like, just make sure to include your station setup that you are using to send the Winlink Message.

That is it! Hope to see you check in tomorrow!

John Hill - KF5VO

In case you didn't get check-in to the last Winlink Wednesday day and wanted to know the results, here's the e-mail I sent out on Thursday.

This week, we have exactly twice as many check-ins as last week! Thank you all for those who have checked in a second time, and thank you all for the new check-ins.

I have compiled the check-ins into a spreadsheet and have attached it. I've included the comments about station setup. The thought is to let you know how others are using Winlink, as well as maybe give ideas for those that do not have a complete station setup yet. It looks like we have stations from all over the north Texas region signing in. Help spread the word about the Winlink Wednesday net. Feel free to make an announcement on local information nets, social media, club meetings, or however you want to spread the word. If you would like to have me write a small blurb about it, just reach out to me and I would be more than happy to help.

Just a note on the forms. If you are having trouble using the forms, make sure you have the latest forms and the latest version of Winlink Express downloaded. You can find both at the link below. Make sure to read the "Read Me" file.

https://downloads.winlink.org/User%20Programs/

Thanks again, everyone! I look forward to next week's Winlink Wednesday.

John Hill
~KF5VO

John Hill - KF5VO

Tomorrow is Winlink Wednesday!

The instructions for this week's Winlink Wednesday are as follows:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org website. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through.

In the Comment Box, you can put what ever comment you'd like.

When I send the results this week, I will not keep it as Excel. That file was only 10kB in size. If you downloaded that over RF, now you have a good idea how long it takes to download even a tiny file. I'll send a smaller text file this week.

That's it! Hope to see you check in tomorrow!

John Hill - KF5VO

Tomorrow is Winlink Wednesday!

When I opened Winlink this morning, the message was displayed that a new version of the Winlink templates was available for download. The latest version of the templates is 1.0.98.0. It appears that the Winlink Check In template has been unaffected by any updates. It's always a good idea to have the latest version of the templates, so make sure you download them.

We do have one user that is having difficulty using the templates. In trying to help him, it occurred to me that it could be an issue with the browser he is using. I thought this might lead to a good question for the week. Which browser are you using when the template opens? Put that in the comment section of the template.

Spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. This net is open to anyone with a Winlink account (which is free for licensed amateurs).

The instructions for this week's Winlink Wednesday are as follows:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through.

In the Comment Box, you can put what ever comment you'd like.

Spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. This net is open to anyone with a Winlink account (which is free for licensed amateurs).

That's it! Hope to see you check in tomorrow!

John Hill - KF5VO

Tomorrow is Wednesday, which means it's time for Winlink Wednesday!

The instructions for this week's Winlink Wednesday are as follows:

Use the same template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

In the Comment Box, you can put what ever comment you'd like.

Spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. This net is open to anyone with a Winlink account (which is free for licensed amateurs).

That's it! Hope to see you check in tomorrow!

John Hill - KF5VO

For our first-time check-ins, thank you. For those who have checked in more than once, thank you for returning.

For the next Winlink Wednesday Net (8/14/2009), I will be out of the country, but don't let that stop you from checking in. The cool thing about this net is that the NCS doesn't have to be at the radio to accept check-ins. I won't be back until late Sunday night, so I will not be able to send the results until Monday.

For the next net, go ahead and use the same Winlink form (Standard Templates à GENERAL Forms à Winlink Check In.txt). As an experiment, if you are using VHF/UHF, see if there is a near-by digipeater to use. The best source I have found for locating them is by looking at HAM club websites, usually on the Repeater page, if they have it. If a digipeater is available to use, it would be good practice to learn how it works. You might be able to hit a gateway a little further than where you normally could, since that is the purpose of a digipeater. That is what this net is about, after all, testing and trying new things.

I look forward to hearing from everyone. And as always, let your friends / clubs / groups know about Winlink Wednesday!

John Hill - KF5VO

Friendly reminder that today is Winlink Wednesday. I am out of the country this week, but the wonderful thing about this net is that I don't need to be by the radio to accept check ins. So, by all means, ch eck in! I should be back by Monday to tally the results and send them back. Thanks, and spread the word about Winlink Wednesday!

Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF <hydrashok407@...>

Is there a certain time frame where checkins are allowed?  How soon is too soon, and how late is too late?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:08 AM John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:
Friendly reminder that today is Winlink Wednesday. I am out of the country this week, but the wonderful thing about this net is that I don't need to be by the radio to accept check ins. So, by all means, ch eck in! I should be back by Monday to tally the results and send them back. Thanks, and spread the word about Winlink Wednesday!

John Hill - KF5VO

Officially it's anytime on Wednesday. 12:00 am until 12:00 am. In practice, I take check ins all the way until I send out the email with everyone that checked in.