Topics

OUR TEXAS Section!

Patrick Brown

August 10, 2019

Dear ARRL NTX Membership:

I had been patient during this period of conflict and misunderstandings concerning our state team and organization. This issue is something that cannot be ignored or neglected. I weigh in my opinion as a proud member!

My name is Pat AK5TX, moving from Alaska to Texas with my vanity call sign as a blessing and reminder for me as it is a personal story. When I relocated to Tyler, it was for several reasons including medical treatments not available in rural Alaska. Now, here is my home and I am willing to fight for it! This includes our hobby, craft, art, and science of Amateur Radio! I am disabled and during the dark time of my initial vision loss, Ham Radio became a lifeline to help and render aid and comfort. Ham Radio is one of the most forgiving and accommodating hobbies to let me live my life beyond the length of my cane.

This great republic and the great state of Texas has a rich and colorful history! Upon Texas becoming an independent nation, a restaurant remains and commemorates our Texas Consulate in Ireland active over a century ago. This legacy and pattern include our nation and our parent organization the ARRL, American Radio Relay League. It is an organization built of humans with an interest in ham radio and ultimately staffed by individuals with all their imperfections included yet a desire to serve.

We voted for our current leadership yet usually only a modest portion participates. I do not have the numbers of the recent election. However, after the election, we are encouraged to participate and support our leadership. This is a learn-as-you-go club with ongoing growth and sometimes discomfort. This is an example of leadership challenges. The MISSION was once called the 5 Pillars of Ham Radio. Today due to political fodder, we use the term 5 Principles and 5 Columns of Guidance. With the misunderstandings and confusion, the procedures and process of leadership failed in adherence and instead spiraled out of control. This opened a door from a matter to resolve privately to open a gateway where acrid acrimony prevailed. Issues degraded to personal attacks negating the real issues.

I commend our leadership for resolving the issues and believe in our leadership. We mature from our mistakes and if we resigned every time something was imperfect we would not make it to Heaven much less continue to function on Earth. We acknowledge our mistakes and held accountable and move forward. I do not want to see any more posts about this. Anyone who continues to stir strife and contention should be removed as the good book says to remove the contentious persons and strife ceases.

MY MISSION: 7 x 7 = 27 or from 800,000 hams to 7 Million active and organized licensed ham radio operators in 7 years by 2027! I cannot do it alone and need unity and support of mission, goals, and timelines! Currently, I am teaching ham radio classes to the next generation based upon supporting STEM/STEAM Education in our school institutions. I need your help and a host of Elmers! The disability community is labeled the “Vulnerable Individuals” and after Hurricanes Katrina, Sandy, and Harvey as examples, disabled folks were left behind and many perished. NEVER AGAIN! After the Boston Marathon Terror Attack, it was the ham radio volunteers tasked with stopping 17,000+ runners and coordinating rescue and recovery efforts since the other systems failed. When all else fails it is Ham Radio! The needs are so great and the mission so critical WE need each other. I extend my hand in fellowship and offer to be competitive, NOT COMBATIVE, in spirit and actions.

I served in many non-profit organizations like ham clubs and Toastmasters and much more. If you desire I can help provide training and guidelines to build our leadership as anyone can manage a system but leadership matures each of us to become our best with assigned responsibilities and accountabilities fulfilling missions and achieving goals both personal and professional.

BECAUSE I CARE I HELP!
Respectfully,
Patrick Brown AK5TX
AK5TX@...

Don <kb7zjp@...>

But the leadership hasn't resolved anything. He just sits back and is enjoying the mess he created. Hoping it will just blow over and everyone will just not care what he did. It's a total lack of leadership in the NTX section.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 12:26 PM Patrick Brown <AK5TX@...> wrote:

[...]

Owen Anderson

Could I as a normal dues paying member of this group get
an answer to what this matter was/is about not an apology
which leaves the general membership out of the loop.
Leadership is based on an open communication with the
individuals that are lead. It seems today there are some
items that need to stated to us whom voted him in office!
If the actions involved render removal from office or not
let the membership decide not a secret limited number
of friends or officials.  It is not your group but ours so let
the chips fall as they may.

In regard to comments to other outside groups we work
with, they will judge us on how we handle this matter -
not coverup.  So get started on a PUBLIC forum to state
the facts surrounding this issue and how it will be brought
to a PUBLIC CONCLUSION.

AWAITING YOUR PUBLIC ANSWERS OR I FEEL THIS MATTER
IS STILL OPEN TO DEBATE WITH “WHOMEVER WHO MIGHT
BE IMPACTED BY THE ISSUES.”

Owen Anderson
KE5HRI

On Aug 10, 2019, at 12:37 PM, Don <kb7zjp@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry Wade

You guys may be paying dues members but this is not your fight.  Back off and let the guys in leadership have their differences and work between themselves to resolve their differences.  Things like this happen.  It seems like some of you are much more worried about being involved than you should be. If you think you should be that involved, then you should have ran for a leadership role.

Back off and enjoy the hobby and keep your enthusiasm towards something that will promote the hobby or another ham’s growth.

Let things lie as your involvement only drags things out. Jerry and Steve are ok to go forward so you should be too.

Jw

On Aug 10, 2019, at 1:28 PM, Owen Anderson via Groups.Io <oaand@...> wrote:

[...]

Just because I did not run for President of the United States,
I guess by youR attitude I should not ask question, etc. in the
operation of MY COUNTRY since I did participant as a
candidate fo office.

Owen
KE5HRI

On Aug 10, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Jerry Wade <kg5jbc@...> wrote:

[...]

Dr. Steven Davoust N5KCH

Jerry Wade I want to say amen brother Jerry and Steve are grownups and they will they taking care of the situation just let it lie everybody needs to let it lie God bless y’all enjoy your hobby

On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 3:00 PM, Jerry Wade <kg5jbc@...> wrote:

[...]

In regarding the term “INVOLVED,” I have been involved in
many things around the world in my 80 years and positions
held and I have never told to back off when a subject matter
involved my money and the public’s funds.  Remember we
are a custodian of public thoughts and belong to a group
that prides it self on assisting the public, civic associations
in time of need.

Do not ever tell me I have no right to subject matter regarding
a group I belong too.

You are not my Judge regarding my personal actions.

Owen
KE5HRI

On Aug 10, 2019, at 3:11 PM, Oanderson <oaand@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Freeman, K5SKF

I am a relatively new Ham.  I absolutely have fallen in love with this hobby and I spend all evening every night on the radio now instead of turning on the boob tube (as my Grandfather called it).  I have about a jillion channels and nothing that keeps my attention yet I found that talking on the radio keeps my attention completely.  I LOVE it.

At our last field day event, my office manager’s young son attended.  He absolutely LOVED it!  He’s around 11 or so years old.  WE put him on the air and he was blown away and is now studying to get his tech license.  He attended our last club meeting.   He actually has me in his phone as “Ham Coach”.   I’m pretty blown away by that.

I sent his mother links for the club reflector, the club web page, as well as the North Texas reflector so we/she could keep him involved in everything Ham related and to keep him in the loop and interested.

Just keep that in mind as yall keep going on and on with this battle.  I’m sure she has unsubscribed from this reflector by now.  I would have if it was my kid.   Keep in mind folks, this is a public forum that people looking into becoming a Ham sees all of this drama.

I have no dog in the fight in either direction and I don’t really even know what all happened and don’t care to but this is not a private place for you all to air out your problems with each other, it is a place that everyone sees just as it is over the air.  It’s easy to fall into to the idea that only the folks we “hear” on the air are the only ones that hear us but let me tell you, even I listened for months on 2 meter and 70 cm before I became a tech and I listened almost as long on HF before I became General.

My point is things like this definitely turns folks off of Ham radio.   Fortunately, I never ran into it before I was licensed and have since started running an 80 meter net once a week as well as being part of another but I would have thought twice if I would have been part of this group beforehand.

It sounds to me like the two parties involved have somewhat settled their issues yet the crown continues to want to see more of a battle.   Not one part of any of this is furthering the wonderful hobby of Amateur Radio.

This is just my opinion and I have no dog in the fight, but my concern is furthering the hobby for folks that don’t know anything about it.   I spend many hours every night on the radio and have never (even though never is less than a year) heard such a horrible volley of comments/fights.

Just food for thought.  K5SKF - Stephen

Don <kb7zjp@...>

Sorry but when the Section manager of this section decides who I have a right to know who is running for a Position in the ARRL because he doesn't feel the person is right for the position. I think all of us in this section should be upset. It is my decision to decide on who I will vote for. If your not upset because this section manager want to my your mind up for you then I really don't understand why we vote then. Just let someone like Steve just appoint the person he wants and do away with the voting all together.

I guess no one cares who is position in the ARRL to represent you and all of us who are paying members of the ARRL. Just let the ARRL become a dictatorship and not take in our thoughts on what they do to represent us.  If you don't care and don't want take time to get involved in who and how the ARRL is ran than why pay to be a member.

I know Steve would love to wash this mess under the carpet but I have a right to voice my thoughts as a paying member of the ARRL. Steve is responsible to represent all of us in the NTX ARRL Section.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019, 1:09 AM Stephen Freeman <firebug@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeffrey Angus, WA6FWI

Oh for f**k's sake, will you people grow the f**k up?
We don't decide what the ARRL does, the ARRL Board of Directors
make the decisions.
Nobody is telling?? you what to do or think. Get over yourself.
Steve made a mistake.
He's trying to rectify it.
Fanning the flames is NOT helping.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Owen Anderson

Jeff: Tell me what has he done to come public over his actions or
as you say “rectify it”

Please follow up with a written factual answer - not a bunch of
Bull - I’m a long time paying member and have not in the past
seen this type action  occur.

Owen
KE5HRI

On Aug 11, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Jeffrey Angus <jdangus@...> wrote:

Oh for f**k's sake, will you people grow the f**k up?
We don't decide what the ARRL does, the ARRL Board of Directors
make the decisions.
Nobody is telling?? you what to do or think. Get over yourself.
Steve made a mistake.
He's trying to rectify it.
Fanning the flames is NOT helping.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWI
www.foxsmercantile.com

Owen Anderson

Jeff - WA6FWI: I really enjoy your CHOICE OF WORD hope your
mother did not teach you tell your associates off with that language
as it benefits no one.  Your call sign should put me on notice as to the
Uncouth person on the net, event, etc.

Owen
KE5HRI

On Aug 11, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Jeffrey Angus <jdangus@...> wrote:

Oh for f**k's sake, will you people grow the f**k up?
We don't decide what the ARRL does, the ARRL Board of Directors
make the decisions.
Nobody is telling?? you what to do or think. Get over yourself.
Steve made a mistake.
He's trying to rectify it.
Fanning the flames is NOT helping.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWI
www.foxsmercantile.com

Patrick Brown

August 11, 2019

Dear TEXAS Group:

I hear some naysayers making noise, unable to articulate their concerns except to disparage others.

Before the next election, as these voices seem adamant to desire a change, I challenge each of us to accomplish 3 worthy goals to promote our hobby, craft, art, and science of Ham Radio! Focus that energy into a positive response and encouragement for Amateur Radio. I have 15 projects working including teaching and instructing new beginners in our hobby. Has anyone volunteered to be the best Elmer to help me? Of course, if we apply the same litmus test of negative ions as they seem to expel, I am not so sure I want certain individuals creating such a toxic atmosphere of contamination.

I choose to be positive ions and move on knowing these same mistakes will not be repeated. I accept that and support our leadership. Someone needs to grab a handful of grace when they look in the mirror and reflect on the times when some things were set aside in their lives on their behalf. Love covers a multitude of mistakes.

As for me I am in a great contest and ask the support of my team for my X-Prize Submission:

Thanks for entering the XPRIZE Bucket List Challenge. Here is a link to your submission http://indi.com/h8qw3. Now the fun starts!

To generate Buzz for your submission follow these steps:

1. Share Share into Social ; and

2. Have your friends watch, like Like and share Share your video or picture on Indi and social media!

Good luck!
XPRIZE & The Indi Team

Will you support me with as much enthusiasm as you invest in this issue of no ROI Return-On-Initiative?
Respectfully,
Representing Amateur Radio to the Masses!
Pat AK5TX
Tyler TEXAS
AK5TX@...

Owen Anderson

Have you ever tried to climb a broken ladder to the top?

Owen
KE5HRI

On 8/11/19 1:53 PM, Owen Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
Jeff - WA6FWI: I really enjoy your CHOICE OF WORD hope your
mother did not teach you tell your associates off with that language
as it benefits no one. ??Your call sign should put me on notice as to the
Uncouth person on the net, event, etc.
I used no such work. F**k could just as easily been Fork.
Thank you for jumping to conclusions. You need to fix YOUR
vocabulary.

Actually, it was my grandmother who taught me to swear like
a sailor. My mother taught me to not give a sh*t what others
think.
(*Shot for the humor impaired.)

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Jeffrey Angus, WA6FWI

On 8/11/19 1:45 PM, Owen Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
Jeff: Tell me what has he done to come public over his actions or
as you say ???rectify it???
It's already been posted here. I am not going to waste my time
doing research for you, since you obviously missed it because
you were too busy stirring the pot.
I???m a long time paying member and have not in the past
seen this type action ??occur.
Then you've been asleep at the wheel or walking around with
a bucket over your head.
I've been licensed 51 years now, and I've seen it in every club
I've been a member of, or had to deal with, and every
organization I've had to deal with.
Owen
KE5HRI
Oh, and I'm a "long time paying member" too. That doesn't make
my opinion any less valid that yours. Just different.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF <hydrashok407@...>

Gentlemen,

Can we take a breather?

The section has an issue, and it's not being ignored.  Steve and I still have a meeting coming up, but he's out of town until late Tuesday.  He is well aware this issue needs to be addressed, and I have every confidence in him he will address it... hopefully to everyone's satisfaction.  The resolution also involves the efforts of other Assistant Section Managers, so it's not just a Jerry vs. Steve item.

Yesterday, I sent Steve an email detailing how this same type of issue (censoring candidates on NTX social media platforms) had come up with a previous section manager, and how it was resolved, then.

To Steve's credit, he wasn't fully aware of the history of the failed past section leadership.  He is simply not where he can physically address this issue at this very moment.  He and I will have a discussion (hopefully a face-to-face meeting), and I hope to help him hash this out.

In short, efforts are being made.  I am asking that everyone give those efforts a little breathing room so they can work.  I believe this is what makes the North Texas Section the best section in the league!

For clarification, I don't subscribe to perpetuating some fairy tale facade that everything is peachy and rosy in the section... but I will fully support efforts to address and correct issues that have risen.  Steve has only been section manager for a little over five months.  We elected him, and I think it's only fair to give him the chance to demonstrate how he can deal with these type issues.

So, I ask again... can we please give Steve a little time to get this sorted out?  I'm not asking for a whole lot of time, but I sent a mountain of stuff to him and his assistants to review.  I believe in our section leadership, and I believe in a satisfactory resolution.

Thanks for your consideration.

-=Jerry=- W5BFF

Patrick Brown

Owen:

You said you are a licensed ham for 51 years! Wowzers! That is a great accomplishment!

We just celebrated at Tyler Jr College the MOON DAY EVENT with the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11, Man's first landing on the Moon. It was a HOOT as we were anticipating a few kids and the better part of a 1,000 attended. I have always heard the ham community heard the secret conversation of our astronauts when they switched frequencies allegedly stating they talked about the fleet of alien crafts parked on the other side of the crater. With you attention to details I ask if heard any chatter on that or have the recordings floating around?

I was 15 that day on my birthday and received the best present from our nation for my birthday present. I was inspired to go into rocketry and today working with the University of Washington Seattle, Project LEON-Shoot Stuff Cheaply Into Space! is our ongoing project. It was one reason to move here from Alaska to set up shop here.

I am curious what type of equipment you used as I used Heath Kit tube units and love the smell of ozone :)

With such a rich heritage of amateur radio, are you near me in Tyler as I would love to meet and learn more about ham radio in the good ol days and if we can arrange it, have you speak to our new hams in class. It would be an honor and a hoot too!

This issues we are facing now are a challenge and your desire to seek truth tempered by our public image vs new ham introductions to amateur radio needs to be considered. May I suggest any further discussion be private with individuals for the sake of unity?

Respectfully,
Pat AK5TX in Tyler TX

Owen Anderson

NO, but you need to clean up your mouth.

Comment: I do not believe we have had this type action for
the group before?

Have I belonged to groups with problem, sat on civic/Corp
Boards, owned companies BUT we followed rules for public
discussion and settlement of the issues.

I do not believe both parties by individual e-mail’s addressed
bluntly the issue and how they jointly resolved it according
to ARRL Rules and Regulations.

We Rules in place not personal choices to follow - what’s
the answer?

Owen

On Aug 11, 2019, at 3:58 PM, Jeffrey Angus <jdangus@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your effort - will step aside and await a disclosure
about the matter.

Owen