Topics

Net Schedule

Wayne Morris, AC5V

Is the net schedule posted somewhere?
Thanks, AC5V

Frank Krizan KR1ZAN

Hi Wayne,

What "net schedule" are you referring to?

73, Frank KR1ZAN

On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:13, Wayne Morris <waynemia@...> wrote:

Is the net schedule posted somewhere?
Thanks, AC5V

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

Actually, a net schedule from each of the section's clubs could be useful. We'd have to rely on each club to send updates as things change...

I know Dallas Amateur Radio Club has nightly nets, Irving Has very sporadic nets and an NTS net, but I bet each club has a couple each month...

Would people be interested in such a listing? I'd prefer to limit it to VHF/UHF nets, as they are likely the most interesting to the largest number of members.

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX
ARRL

On Mar 11, 2020, at 11:10, Frank Krizan KR1ZAN via Groups.Io <frank.krizan@...> wrote:

Hi Wayne,

What "net schedule" are you referring to?

73, Frank KR1ZAN

On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:13, Wayne Morris <waynemia@...> wrote:

Is the net schedule posted somewhere?
Thanks, AC5V

Chip Pace - KG5TRN

Ken,

I have a spreadsheet that I created that has Local Club Information, Meetings and Nets on it that I would be happy to share with you and anyone else that is interested.

The PDF is attached but I am not sure if that works with groups.io.

-Chip
de KG5TRN

On Mar 11, 2020, at 11:10, Frank Krizan KR1ZAN via Groups.Io <frank.krizan=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Wayne,

What "net schedule" are you referring to?

73, Frank KR1ZAN

On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:13, Wayne Morris <waynemia@...> wrote:

Is the net schedule posted somewhere?
Thanks, AC5V

Ken Hansen

Chip,

It made it thru, looks nice, but I think I'd have to expand it to all 70+ clubs in our section.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX

On Mar 11, 2020, at 15:28, Chip Pace <japacejr@...> wrote:

[...]

<Local Area Amateur Radio Clubs, Meetings and Nets.pdf>

Chip Pace - KG5TRN

70+  Wow, good luck with that.  ;-)

My list started out as a way for this new ham to get on the air and expanded from there.  But it is still very much centered on clubs in and around McKinney, TX.

-Chip

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 4:02 PM Ken Hansen <n2vip@...> wrote:
[...]

Ross Bennett

Howdy, Chip!

Big compliments on your compilation of local nets that you shared today!

May I submit an addition for your Local Amateur Radio Nets Section?

LETARC (Longview East Texas Amateur Radio Club) Wednesday Night Net
Every Wednesday
8:30p.m.
Repeater:  K5LET
147.340 MHz
Offset: +0.600 MHz
Tone: 136.5 Hz

Thanks very much for your list, and for sharing it today!

Ross
Ross Bennett
Kilgore, Texas

Ron Ford, KF5OMH

Chip,

Thanks for sharing your list. Here is an additional net you can add if you like –

LARA – Lewisville Amateur Radio Association

Information and Help Net, weekly on Wednesday at 1900 hrs.

145.170, -.600 offset, 110.9 PL, W5FKN repeater

The meeting info you have for us is correct as written.

Thanks again for sharing.

73, Ron KF5OMH

[...]

Please don't over look these resources..........

The one below is linked from the ARRL North Texas Section Website
http://arrlntx.org
https://www.arrlntx.org/national-traffic-system/traffic-nets

The next is from the ARRL NTX Section Traffic Managers web page Aaron created this page for all of us
he built it on his own dime and I know he will be glad to add anything to it that members want
https://www.k8amh.com/

ARRL NTX SM

Aaron Hulett

Would setting up a wiki site be helpful? And for more than just net schedules, how about a North Texas repository for amateur radio knowledge, offerings, radio how-to guides, ???  Happy to make it happen (I’d go with MediaWiki, the same engine behind Wikipedie) - I’d just need help with adding content, and would look to many/some of you to help there? If enough interest, I’ll look into making it happen.

Regards,

Aaron | K8AMH

Please don't over look these resources..........

The one below is linked from the ARRL North Texas Section Website
http://arrlntx.org
https://www.arrlntx.org/national-traffic-system/traffic-nets

The next is from the ARRL NTX Section Traffic Managers web page Aaron created this page for all of us
he built it on his own dime and I know he will be glad to add anything to it that members want
https://www.k8amh.com/

ARRL NTX SM

Greg Evans, K5GTX NTX SEC

We have the wiki capability on the NTX and groups.io sites already.

In fact, we have an events calendar in groups.io. If you have a net or event, add it there at https://arrlntx.groups.io/g/section/calendar

Greg Evans, K5GTX
ARRL NTX SEC
ARRL NTX ASM
713.410.2376
[...]

That would be brilliant, Aaron!

Finally there’d be a compilation that wouldn’t require a moderator/administrator/bookkeeper to process all the changes before they went out, and the die-hards could patch up any formatting problems entered by new contributors.

I’d participate!

Ross

On Mar 11, 2020, at 6:40 PM, Aaron Hulett <ahulett@...> wrote:

Would setting up a wiki site be helpful? And for more than just net schedules, how about a North Texas repository for amateur radio knowledge, offerings, radio how-to guides, ???  Happy to make it happen (I’d go with MediaWiki, the same engine behind Wikipedie) - I’d just need help with adding content, and would look to many/some of you to help there? If enough interest, I’ll look into making it happen.

Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC

Here is the link to the Wiki page:

Please note that the Wiki and Calendar pages are subject to moderation.

Greg Evans, K5GTX
ARRL NTX SEC
ARRL NTX ASM
713.410.2376
Winlink: ARES-NTXSEC

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:45 PM -0500, "Greg Evans, K5GTX NTX SEC" <k5gtx@...> wrote:

[...]

Aaron,

I like the idea of a fairly general repository, but I think it would need to be fairly focused.

I'd like a calendar for upcoming club meetings, a repository/directory of individuals able and interested in giving technical presentations, public service events, and regularly scheduled nets.

Ideally I'd like the ability to, in an automated way, send upcoming event emails on a weekly basis to all interested hams, either as part of a NTX section newsletter or as a standalone email list.

I would not want it to be generally editable, and I don't want to be 100% responsible for all content (LOL) - let me think on it.

I really appreciate the offer, I need to think through the best hone for such an offering - we don't need yet another standalone website purporting to be the "be-all, end-all" of ham radio knowledge.

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX

[...]

Great! If this fits the need, it’s nice to avoid reinventing the wheel.

[...]

We can tailor to meet the needs, just need content...

Greg Evans, K5GTX
ARRL NTX SEC
ARRL NTX ASM
713.410.2376

On Mar 11, 2020, at 6:55 PM, Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC <sec@...> wrote:

Here is the link to the Wiki page:

Please note that the Wiki and Calendar pages are subject to moderation.

Yeah, see—that’s the problem with a “wiki” being under groups.io.  The whole Wiki notion is that anything is editable by anyone and not limited to a small group or inside a small area with a specific interest.

Wikis are supposed to be written, moderated, and accessible by everyone.  If they’re closed up even a little, the whole thing fails to work as it should. Contributors tend to dry up when their efforts aren’t benefitting as many people as they can through different sources.

Once years ago when I started getting interested in Antiquities and Classical Studies, I thought to myself, “This is great!  There really should be a Wiki for this.”  It took only a couple of minutes before I realized, “Oh, there already is.  It’s called ‘Wikipedia.’”

Now…if there were only a section of Wikipedia devoted to Amateur Radio.… … (he says, staring pointedly)

Well, of course there isn’t, because Wikipedia uses citations to scholarly and verifiable sources for anything put on it.  That’s intentional.  But if there are any other Amateur Radio wikis out there on the planet, that’s really where all that sort of thing should go.  Does Wikia have one?

It really should be worldwide if it’s going to realize its potential.

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

On Mar 11, 2020, at 19:15, Ross Bennett <therossbennett@...> wrote:

The whole Wiki notion is that anything is editable by anyone and not limited to a small group or inside a small area with a specific interest.

Wiki is a tool for posting content, having world-editable content may be appropriate in certain contexts, but as an authoritative resource for hams in the North Texas Section of the ARRL I think access to update/modify any site like we've discussed without moderation/oversight would be a mistake.

Wikis are supposed to be written, moderated, and accessible by everyone.

Yes, in a perfect world where everyone is of a similar mind and disagreements never arise, that would be the goal. If we choose to implement such a resource utilizing Wiki technology, that does not obligate is to allow anyone to post anything they want anywhere on the site. We are discussing a directory, and as such I could imagine allowing each club one user I'd to update the wiki... world-editable is not needed.

If they’re closed up even a little, the whole thing fails to work as it should. Contributors tend to dry up when their efforts aren’t benefitting as many people as they can through different sources.

The use of wiki technology does not obligate is to make it a wide-open Website.

Thanks,

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX
ARRL

Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC

We will moderate the Wiki and implement security as needed. This is a resource for members ONLY and I expect everyone to acting accordingly. Inappropriate content will be removed.

Greg Evans, K5GTX
ARRL NTX SEC
ARRL NTX ASM
713.410.2376
Winlink: ARES-NTXSEC

Ross Bennett

Oh, you’re absolutely right!  And that’s why I said Aaron’s idea about setting one up for people to use was a good one.  I would absolutely work on that.

But inside groups.io, available to a limited group, and someone else moderating or overseeing it—deciding they would be in charge of the posts? Well—that will probably work, but I can’t say I’m much interested in contributing.

See what just happened there?

On Mar 11, 2020, at 7:32 PM, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

The use of wiki technology does not obligate is to make it a wide-open Website.

No, but it does away with most of the advantages gained by being a Wiki.

If that’s the notion of how it should be, then don’t use a Wiki.  Use a shared document on Google Docs.  Or even a Google Forms page to have people submit their entries.  It’ll be WAY easier to manage that way

Thanks,

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX
ARRL