Topics

[National Traffic System] Update regarding the upcoming storms

Aaron Hulett | K8AMH

Hello everyone,

With tropical storm 13 (now named Laura) and tropical depression 14 moving towards the Southeast, I wanted to give an update regarding the traffic system and preparations that are underway.

Traffic system involvement will depend on the impact these storms have, such as on communications, electrical, and other infrastructure. There may be no or very little traffic related to these storms, or there may be some traffic, or more.

I have reached out to Section Traffic Managers across the Southeast to check in on any specific needs that we in our Section can assist with, such as setting up additional traffic net hours, and I will meet with traffic handlers and net managers in our Section to discuss these storms.

If you have friends or family within the tracks of these storms, establish an out-of-area contact. Those affected can update the out-of-area contact, and then other friends and family can receive updates from the out-of-area contact. This saves the need for those affected to try and update a large number of people, especially when communications infrastructure may be impacted. This person can also serve as a destination for any radiogram-based welfare traffic. Please ask anyone you may know in these areas that may be impacted by these tropical depressions to identify their out-of-area contact, and then let your friend and family know who that contact is.

The time to prepare is now, as once the storms arrive the time to prepare ends. Please know that I, along with other Leadership in the Section including Steve Lott Smith (KG5VK) our Section Manager and Greg Evans (K5GTX) our Section Emergency Coordinator are monitoring these storms and will provide updates should they be warranted.

You can monitor the latest through your local news outlets and the National Hurricane Center.

As always, my thanks to traffic handlers in our Section that help keep traffic moving and work so diligently to provide this vital service. While I hope there will not be a need for traffic or any other amateur radio assistance related to these storms, I stand confident in our capabilities in the National Traffic System, the Amateur Radio Emergency Service, and beyond should the need arise.

Aaron | K8AMH

--
Aaron Hulett | K8AMH

Section Traffic Manager
ARRL North Texas Section

P: 469.630.2528
F: 469.731.8326

PO Box 479
Little Elm TX 75068-0479

Aaron Hulett | K8AMH

This is an update regarding the traffic system and tropical storms Laura and Marco.

Updated forecast cones have tropical storm Marco making landfall as a hurricane in Southeast Louisiana at 1 pm Monday, impacting the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge, and Mobile Alabama. Marco will then take a more westerly path to central Louisiana by 1 pm Tuesday as a tropical storm, and then moving to East Texas by 1 pm Wednesday as a tropical depression. Assuming this current forecast holds, here in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex we would experience wind and rain, but as to what extend will depend on what happens over the next couple of days.

Tropical storm Laura, according to its forecast cone, will make landfall as a hurricane in, again, Southeast Louisiana at 2 pm Wednesday and affecting the same areas as Marco. Turning north at this point, it will seemingly follow the Mississippi River, moving to the Louisiana/Alabama/Arkansas border meeting point by 2 pm Thursday.

Earlier today I met with net managers and official relay stations within the Section met to discuss these storms and how we would manage any storm-related traffic. This includes setting up additional traffic net hours should the extra capacity be warranted, and also ensuring that any traffic destined for affected areas is focused on welfare, priority, and emergency traffic, kindly asking that any routine traffic, such as general greetings, hold off while affected areas manage what is occurring in their areas. Welfare traffic into affected areas may also need to stand by while shelters or other such resources are established, especially if people are displaced from their homes.

As part of maintaining awareness and readiness, I will meet again tomorrow with net managers and official relay stations to review updated forecast cones and discuss if any changes are needed to our approach, but I feel we are in a good position and we are ready to assist with any weather-related traffic that would need to be relayed into or through our Section.

At this moment the main thing stations can do is ensure their personal preparedness supplies are ready to go, such as ensuring batteries are charged, and with Marco potentially coming in our direction, being ready to remain at home for a bit while the storm moves through the area, such as having fuel for generators available, food and other supplies on hand, and maintaining awareness on the ever-changing forecast cones for these storms.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at k8amh@....

Aaron | K8AMH

Aaron Hulett | K8AMH

Update on Tropical Storm Laura and Hurricane Marco

We are ready to help!

This is an update regarding the traffic system, Tropical Storm Laura, and Hurricane Marco.

The forecast cones continue to change as new data comes in. Hurricane Marco is now expected to make landfall late Monday in Southeast Louisiana, turning west, and following the coast before moving inland to the South Texas Section as a tropical depression. Here is the latest forecast cone for Hurricane Marco.

A close up of a map

Description automatically generated

Tropical Storm Laura will make landfall late Wednesday in Southwest Louisiana, moving north until reaching the Louisiana/Arkansas border as a tropical storm, and then turn northeast. Here is the latest forecast cone for Tropical Storm Laura.

A close up of a map

Warnings have been issued for the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts related to Hurricane Marco. No warnings have been issued related to Tropical Storm Laura at this time.

Today I again met with net managers and official relay stations in our Section to review these developments and our action plan should we see storm-related traffic. Information has also been sent to net control stations discussing these plans and how additional information will be provided should any actions outside of normal net operations be needed from them during traffic nets. The traffic system already categorizes traffic based on whether it is Emergency, Priority, Welfare, or Routine (general) traffic, and we will treat any storm-related Emergency, Priority, and Welfare traffic coming from affected areas with significant regard.

I have also heard back from other Section Traffic Managers, including Helen Straughn, WC4FSU, the Section Traffic Manager for the ARRL Northern Florida Section, who has offered her assistance to us given how these newer storm forecasts have them moving into our area instead of Florida.

Based on how these forecasts have evolved and the intensity these storms are expected to have when making landfall, we do not expect a large influx of storm-related traffic. However, if the need does arise, the traffic system is standing by and ready to assist.

Also worth noting, Greg Evans (K5GTX) our Section Emergency Coordinator has updated the Amateur Radio Emergency Service section status to Readiness Review. Just as I have asked traffic handlers to prepare for and monitor these storms, Greg asks that all ARES members check their equipment and readiness, including verifying their go-kits are well stocked and that batteries are charged. If ARES members have any questions, please reach out to your ARES Emergency Coordinator for more information.

Given the Traffic System, both inside our Section and in surrounding Sections, has reviewed these storms and is now standing by for any storm-related traffic, this will be my last update for now. Should we see large amounts of storm-related traffic come from affected areas, I will provide further updates on our activities, and net managers will update their teams with new information.

And as always, my thanks to traffic handlers and net managers here in our Section for working to move traffic on a daily basis as part of practicing and preparing for emergencies, and for working so diligently to prepare ahead of these storms. We are ready to help!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on the air, or to email me at k8amh@....

Aaron | K8AMH

A person posing for the camera

Aaron Hulett  |  K8AMH

Section Traffic Manager

ARRL North Texas Section

k8amh@...

PO Box 479

Little Elm TX 75068-0479

www.arrlntx.org

From: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aaron Hulett | K8AMH
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 18:35
To: section@arrlntx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ARRLNTX] [National Traffic System] Update regarding the upcoming storms

This is an update regarding the traffic system and tropical storms Laura and Marco.

Updated forecast cones have tropical storm Marco making landfall as a hurricane in Southeast Louisiana at 1 pm Monday, impacting the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge, and Mobile Alabama. Marco will then take a more westerly path to central Louisiana by 1 pm Tuesday as a tropical storm, and then moving to East Texas by 1 pm Wednesday as a tropical depression. Assuming this current forecast holds, here in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex we would experience wind and rain, but as to what extend will depend on what happens over the next couple of days.

Tropical storm Laura, according to its forecast cone, will make landfall as a hurricane in, again, Southeast Louisiana at 2 pm Wednesday and affecting the same areas as Marco. Turning north at this point, it will seemingly follow the Mississippi River, moving to the Louisiana/Alabama/Arkansas border meeting point by 2 pm Thursday.

Earlier today I met with net managers and official relay stations within the Section met to discuss these storms and how we would manage any storm-related traffic. This includes setting up additional traffic net hours should the extra capacity be warranted, and also ensuring that any traffic destined for affected areas is focused on welfare, priority, and emergency traffic, kindly asking that any routine traffic, such as general greetings, hold off while affected areas manage what is occurring in their areas. Welfare traffic into affected areas may also need to stand by while shelters or other such resources are established, especially if people are displaced from their homes.

As part of maintaining awareness and readiness, I will meet again tomorrow with net managers and official relay stations to review updated forecast cones and discuss if any changes are needed to our approach, but I feel we are in a good position and we are ready to assist with any weather-related traffic that would need to be relayed into or through our Section.

At this moment the main thing stations can do is ensure their personal preparedness supplies are ready to go, such as ensuring batteries are charged, and with Marco potentially coming in our direction, being ready to remain at home for a bit while the storm moves through the area, such as having fuel for generators available, food and other supplies on hand, and maintaining awareness on the ever-changing forecast cones for these storms.

Aaron | K8AMH

Owen Anderson

Have you considered any frequencies that might be used that we 
Need to be aware of.

Owen Anderson
KE5HRI

On Aug 22, 2020, at 6:35 PM, Aaron Hulett | K8AMH <ahulett@...> wrote:

Aaron | K8AMH

Aaron Hulett | K8AMH

Hello Owen,

Generally for traffic handling, we will use our regular frequencies that we use when there isn’t an event going on, we’d just operate for extended sessions if needed. But if, as an example, local in DFW our main repeaters used for traffic handling are not available, we have backup repeaters available that we’d jump to. And, as an another example, if the 7290 Traffic Net is finding conditions rough on 40 meters, traffic handlers can move to 80 meters as needed. The good news is this is normal operating practice in our day-to-day operations, so if you’re already engaged in things, you’re already ready to go.

Here’s where you can find a list of traffic nets and their related frequencies for things here in the NTX Section: https://www.arrlntx.org/national-traffic-system/traffic-nets

//A

From: section@arrlntx.groups.io <section@arrlntx.groups.io> On Behalf Of Owen Anderson via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 22:11
To: section@arrlntx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ARRLNTX] [National Traffic System] Update regarding the upcoming storms

Need to be aware of.

Owen Anderson

KE5HRI

Aaron | K8AMH

No.

Our neighbors, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and South Texas
have established NET frequencies that are published just like we do

The neighboring SM's and their SEC's know how to contact Greg and I if they need any help
I personally have known several of them for a long time
Especially K5JMR in Louisiana their SM
He knows how to reach me very easily, as do the others.

The only other Frequency of significance is the Maritime net on 20 meters
Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 10:11 PM Owen Anderson via groups.io <oaand=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Need to be aware of.

Owen Anderson
KE5HRI

Aaron | K8AMH