Lake Amateur Radio Association presents us WinLink Wednesdays


 

New from our friends at Lake Area Amateur Radio Association using Winlink.

I would like to invite you to participate in a new WinLink net called WinLink Wednesdays. This net is open to everyone, so please invite your other WinLink friends to participate.

The purpose of the net is to keep operators skills fresh on how to operate WinLink via RF. Skills atrophy without use, and the most likely time you will use WinLink is during an emergency. If you use a skill at least one a week, the chances of atrophy lessen greatly.

So, how do you participate? It's quite easy. You will send a message to KF5VO via WinLink on Wednesday. When you open a new message, Click on Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> WinLink Check In.txt. Fill out the form. Make sure you put KF5VO in the "Send To:" filed. If you need help, there is a link on the form called "Form Info" that describes each input. Click the submit button, and send the e-mail.

For now, send the message via RF to any WinLink Gateway. At a later date we may try direct connections, but not yet.

Send the message on Wednesday between the times of 12:00 a.m. in the morning and 11:59 p.m. in the evening, local time. The list of check-ins will be compiled on either Thursday or Friday and sent back out to everyone that checked in.

Our first WinLink Wednesday will be July 10.

73,
John, KF5VO

 

I say Bravo to the guys and gals and Lake Amateur Radio Association !!!
Steve
KG5VK


KC
 

HI
I just did this, I think. Please let me know if it worked.
Thank you
Kevin

On 7/10/2019 4:34:38 PM, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

New from our friends at Lake Area Amateur Radio Association using Winlink.

I would like to invite you to participate in a new WinLink net called WinLink Wednesdays. This net is open to everyone, so please invite your other WinLink friends to participate.

The purpose of the net is to keep operators skills fresh on how to operate WinLink via RF. Skills atrophy without use, and the most likely time you will use WinLink is during an emergency. If you use a skill at least one a week, the chances of atrophy lessen greatly.

So, how do you participate? It's quite easy. You will send a message to KF5VO via WinLink on Wednesday. When you open a new message, Click on Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> WinLink Check In.txt. Fill out the form. Make sure you put KF5VO in the "Send To:" filed. If you need help, there is a link on the form called "Form Info" that describes each input. Click the submit button, and send the e-mail.

For now, send the message via RF to any WinLink Gateway. At a later date we may try direct connections, but not yet.

Send the message on Wednesday between the times of 12:00 a.m. in the morning and 11:59 p.m. in the evening, local time. The list of check-ins will be compiled on either Thursday or Friday and sent back out to everyone that checked in.

Our first WinLink Wednesday will be July 10.

73,
John, KF5VO

 

I say Bravo to the guys and gals and Lake Amateur Radio Association !!!
Steve
KG5VK


Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF ARRLNTX ASM/ASEC <hydrashok407@...>
 

What did you do??


On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 5:05 PM KC <kcag58@...> wrote:
HI
I just did this, I think. Please let me know if it worked.
Thank you
Kevin


John Hill - KF5VO
 

Kevin,

I assume your message is meant for me? If so, send me an e-mail off list (kf5vo@...) and let me know the call sign the WinLink message is originating from. I will let you know if I received the check-in.

Tomorrow or Friday I will respond to everyone that checked in with a list of all the check-ins. Similar to how the NTX Ares net does.

~John Hill
KF5VO

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ARRLNTX] Lake Amateur Radio Association presents us
WinLink Wednesdays
From: "KC" <kcag58@...>
Date: Wed, July 10, 2019 6:05 pm
To: "section@arrlntx.groups.io Integration" <section@arrlntx.groups.io>

HI
I just did this, I think. Please let me know if it worked.
Thank you
Kevin
On 7/10/2019 4:34:38 PM, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK <lottsphoto@...> wrote:
New from our friends at Lake Area Amateur Radio Association using Winlink.
I would like to invite you to participate in a new WinLink net called WinLink Wednesdays. This net is open to everyone, so please invite your other WinLink friends to participate.
The purpose of the net is to keep operators skills fresh on how to operate WinLink via RF. Skills atrophy without use, and the most likely time you will use WinLink is during an emergency. If you use a skill at least one a week, the chances of atrophy lessen greatly.
So, how do you participate? It's quite easy. You will send a message to KF5VO via WinLink on Wednesday. When you open a new message, Click on Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> WinLink Check In.txt. Fill out the form. Make sure you put KF5VO in the "Send To:" filed. If you need help, there is a link on the form called "Form Info" that describes each input. Click the submit button, and send the e-mail.
For now, send the message via RF to any WinLink Gateway. At a later date we may try direct connections, but not yet.
Send the message on Wednesday between the times of 12:00 a.m. in the morning and 11:59 p.m. in the evening, local time. The list of check-ins will be compiled on either Thursday or Friday and sent back out to everyone that checked in.
Our first WinLink Wednesday will be July 10.
73,
John, KF5VO
 
I say Bravo to the guys and gals and Lake Amateur Radio Association !!!
Steve
KG5VK


John Hill - KF5VO
 

Thanks again for plugging the Winlink Wednesday net, Steve.

All I can say is... Wow!!!! I thought for sure the first net would have only about six check-ins, but we had 25!!! With such short notice, the word got around and there were several check-ins from operators I have not met yet. Thank you for checking in!

We will have another Winlink Wednesday net next week on Wednesday, July 17. Here are more instructions. Feel free to pass this along to local clubs or groups who could use the practice of sending and receiving Winlink messages.

  • Continue to use the form. Everyone did a great job on this. When a new message is opened, click on the menu item Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> WinLink Check In.txt
  • In the "Location" field, put in City/Town and your grid square. This will help me determine how far away you are.
  • We'll take check-ins though any means, but the spirit of the net is to use RF, whether that's HF or VHF/UHF. It's meant to test your station as well as practice your skills.
  • In the comments, tell me about your station. Some of the check-ins already did this, but do it again for next week. For example, I'm using a Kenwood TM-V71 and a Signalink.

Hope to "hear" from everyone soon!


 

John,

It would have been 26 as I already had a formatted message to send and was about to transmit it when we had a bad T storm pop up

Then we immediately lost power and did not get it back tell one this morning

No damage here at the QTH,  but it was Hot a very restless sleep :)

I love the Wednesday's WinLink this will help improve the WinLink infrastructure I am sure

Your Team Rocks !!!

Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
2019 ARRL NTX Section Manager 
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address



On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 3:06 PM John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:
Thanks again for plugging the Winlink Wednesday net, Steve.

All I can say is... Wow!!!! I thought for sure the first net would have only about six check-ins, but we had 25!!! With such short notice, the word got around and there were several check-ins from operators I have not met yet. Thank you for checking in!

We will have another Winlink Wednesday net next week on Wednesday, July 17. Here are more instructions. Feel free to pass this along to local clubs or groups who could use the practice of sending and receiving Winlink messages.

  • Continue to use the form. Everyone did a great job on this. When a new message is opened, click on the menu item Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> WinLink Check In.txt
  • In the "Location" field, put in City/Town and your grid square. This will help me determine how far away you are.
  • We'll take check-ins though any means, but the spirit of the net is to use RF, whether that's HF or VHF/UHF. It's meant to test your station as well as practice your skills.
  • In the comments, tell me about your station. Some of the check-ins already did this, but do it again for next week. For example, I'm using a Kenwood TM-V71 and a Signalink.

Hope to "hear" from everyone soon!