Topics

Interest in a presentation "DMR—Why would I want that, and how would I do it?"

Ross Bennett

Presentation:  DMR—Why would I want that, and how would I do it?

How many people would be interested in this presentation?

Hello, friend Amateurs!

I’ve been asked a few times to give presentations on Amateur Digital Mobile Radio, usually with the understanding that it would need to fit in 30 minutes.

There are loads of folks, including YouTubers, who have tried and failed to do that.  And so far, I’ve never seen anyone make a coherent presentation on WHY anyone would want to use DMR and what it can do for them.

For months I’ve had a presentation forming. It should give everyone what they need to decide if DMR is for them (I think it is.), how to go about it, and how far they want to take it.

The presentation would be in four parts that together would run the length of an afternoon.  Or perhaps one day from 10 a.m. to about 4pm, with breaks for lunch and between sessions.  The first session would require no knowledge of DMR at all. And for once it would cover what DMR would offer to the user—not a sales pitch on how cool TDMA is with dubious promises about it being “better” than other modes.

In the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sessions, we’d progress through more technical information.  Here’s a rough idea of the material in the sessions.

Session 1:

Why would I want such a thing as DMR? What do we get from DMR and why did anyone even create it?  What problems does it solve?  What does this do that Analog won’t? How is this different from the other offerings from DStar, AllStar, P25, or System Fusion? How do I use it and what does it sound like? Why are hotspots a thing? What’s the point if it’s all just going through my Internet? (Spoiler: It shouldn’t be, eventually.)

Session 2:

What do I need to buy, build, get, or do to start DMRing? How do I operate once I’m on? What is all this radio programming about? What does it mean to talk about DMR channels, talkgroups, private calls, group calls, DMR IDs, and networks? Is it true that not all DMR radios work the same way? Why don’t they do the same things? Why are there different DMR networks and why would I pick one or another?  Or can I use them all?

Session 3:

How do I put up a DMR repeater? What does the DMR network do, and how does it do it? Why is it that sometimes connections don’t work? Why is it occasionally two conversations collide right in the middle?  (Spoiler: It’s not usually rudeness or bad operating.) What do those network settings mean?  How do I pick what things my repeater will carry? Should I make the repeater local or global or something in between? And how would I?

Session 4:

How are DMR networks built? How many DMR networks are there? Should our club or organization link into an existing network or should we build one of our own?  Should we use more than one network at the same time? What if we want to make sure our system works if out Internet goes down? Do we need to use the Internet at all? How else can we link things together?

So I have a couple of questions before I move this from outlines and notes into reality.

  • How many amateurs would be interested in such a day?

  • How many amateurs would still be interested if there were a charge—say $8?—to cover the cost of the venue?

  • Are there be any clubs or venues that would be interested in sponsoring/hosting the presentation by providing a venue and perhaps inviting folks in their area?

If any of this sounds interesting, please let me know by sending me an email at ki5sr@....

If you’d like to get an email if such a thing becomes reality, let me know that, too and I’ll let you know if it does.

Thanks very much,

Ross Bennett
Amateur Station KI5SR
Kilgore, Texas

danny richard

I'm very interested in DMR would like to do this online to learn how to get started. Please keep me informed if this becomes a reality. I think  this would be a great help!!       Danny Richard KG5ESG Daingerfield TX

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 2:13 PM, Ross Bennett
<therossbennett@...> wrote:

[...]

bryan.loper@yahoo.com

Ross,

Would like to be a part of learning more about DMR. Been active with DMR for about a year and a half. Just installed a DMR repeater here in Atlanta, Tx. We have very few people that use DMR in our area, but is a lot of fun and enjoyable.

Repeater is static with talk group 31229 ARK-LA-TEX. More information can be found on Repeaterbook. It is being used for back-up communications for local traffic and SkyWarn activation when needed. Just look up WX5CSS or Atlanta, Tx on repeater book.

Keep me posted, and updated. Just a suggestion, may want to record the session for those that cant attend.  Ill give you $10, for the venue, the extra $2 for a cup of coffee!!! Emoji

Thanks,
Bryan Loper
WX5CSS
Atlanta, Texas

<therossbennett@...> wrote:

[...]

Wyndell "Wingnut" Ferguson

As a new Tech Class Im always looking to learn more...

Wyndell "Wingnut" Ferguson

On Sunday, September 27, 2020, 2:13:20 PM CDT, Ross Bennett <therossbennett@...> wrote:

[...]

Guy Hale

Sounds very interesting to me.  I personally use D-Star gear, but have been glancing side-eyed at DMR stuff since you can get some decent radios for cheap, and it seems like it could be a lot of fun.

For venue advice, you might have better turnout if you work on building and practicing your presentations now and present at hamfests in 2021 (Cowtown Hamfest in Fort Worth in January, Irving in March, Ham-Com in June, etc), since hopefully by then COVID will be under control enough that we'll be able to have them.  Depending on what they currently have on their schedules they may be looking just for something like this!

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 8:57 AM Wyndell "Wingnut" Ferguson <circlef@...> wrote:
[...]

Greg Evans K5GTX ARRLNTX SEC

Ross,

I know a number of people who would be interested in such a presentation. I believe the best time would be in the evenings, but I will ask that others chime in.

We have a Zoom Conference account and would be glad to host it.

73,

STAY PREPARED,

STAY READY,

STAY SAFE!