Topics

Eastland County situation.

Jeffrey Angus

About five years ago, I was asked to join RACES to take part in
the I-20 Ice Watch program. Because I live in Ranger, and just
East of there is Ranger Hill. Normally dangerous, but even more
so when it ices up.
Shortly afterwards, I was asked to be the Emergency Coordinator
for Eastland County ARES.
Two years later, I find out that both of my "Chain of command"
people had quit a year previously without telling me.
There are about 75 Hams in Eastland County, unfortunately
they are either inactive or want to have nothing to do with either
RACES or ARES.
In an attempt to reach out, I talked with our Fire Chief, a licensed
Ham, and was politely told to piss off.
No one on the City Council was interested either.
When I called the American Red Cross, the answer I got from them
was "We're in Abilene."
I used to take part regularly in the NTXARES Net on 80 meters, but
that seems to have gone away, and I haven't heard anything in
over a year now.
I established the Eastland County ARC. It's hard to hold a meeting
when you're the only one to show up.

So, like the old Army recruitment campaign, "I am an Army of one."

Any suggestions on what to do?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

Jeff,

I have a few ideas.........

Let's start by the thinking of a positive approach
Like Hey can I help, or what can we do for you.

Also is there no local club, with members that have their own input ?
Of course if you start the conversation like you did with the other thread "and now this"

I can see where you might get some flack.

Maybe in the other thread you were attempting levity, it rarely works in the written word
especially in this forum.

As for the 80 meter net it does still exist
I have checked into it several times since becoming the Section Manager
3860 MHz at 2030 Local time on the Second Wednesday of Each month

I know propagation there has been an issue

soon the Day Night conditions will change a bit
and it might get better for short haul Com on 75 meters

There is also WinLink Wednesday that is alive and well

You say you started the Eastland County ARC
I can not find any info on it with a search, maybe no one knows about it ?
What clubs are near you ?

Have you participated in any special events
if you want support, often you have to start by supporting others

just some random ideas
that I hope will help

Jeffrey Angus

On 9/19/19 11:27 AM, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK wrote:

I have a few ideas.........

Let's start by the thinking of a positive approach
Like Hey can I help, or what can we do for you.

Also is there no local club, with members that have their own input ?
Of course if you start the conversation like you did with the other
thread "and now this"

I can see where you might get some flack.
Yes, I apologize once again, because I keep forgetting that
some people are incapable of using their DELETE or SCROLL
Keys.

As for the 80 meter net it does still exist
I have checked into it several times since becoming the Section Manager
3860 MHz at 2030 Local time on the Second Wednesday of Each month

I know propagation there has been an issue

soon the Day Night conditions will change a bit
and it might get better for short haul Com on 75 meters
Well, for whatever reason, they fell off the map here in Ranger.
And I stopped getting email notices of scheduled nets.

There is also WinLink Wednesday that is alive and well

You say you started the Eastland County ARC
I can not find any info on it with a search, maybe no one knows
about it ?
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/Eastland.County.ARC/>

What clubs are near you ?
I suspect there might be one in Abilene, I know there is at least
one in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Both are at least 65 miles
from here.

Have you participated in any special events
if you want support, often you have to start by supporting others
Kind of hard to support anything when there's only one of you and
the typical response you get is "no thanks."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0