Communications Partner Update: 02/22/2021 08:00

Kevin McCoy

Communications Partner Update:  02/22/2021 08:00

First some news:

These numbers are simply staggering:

  •         1,272 Boil Water Notices
  •        14 Million impacted customers
  •         200 water systems out
  •         209 water systems impaired
  •          85 waste water systems impaired or out
Water Issues

At the federal level FEMA [in addtion to public assistance in all counties], individual assistance is now available for individuals in 77 counties:

Angelina, Aransas, Bastrop, Bee, Bell, Bexar, Blanco, Brazoria, Brazos, Brown, Burleson, Caldwell, Calhoun, Cameron, Chambers, Collin, Comal, Comanche, Cooke, Coryell, Dallas, Denton, DeWitt, Ellis, Falls, Fort Bend, Galveston, Gillespie, Grimes, Guadalupe, Hardin, Harris, Hays, Henderson, Hidalgo, Hood, Jasper, Jefferson, Johnson, Kaufman, Kendall, Lavaca, Liberty, Madison, Matagorda, Maverick, McLennan, Montague, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Nueces, Orange, Palo Pinto, Panola, Parker, Polk, Rockwall, Sabine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, Scurry, Shelby, Smith, Stephens, Tarrant, Travis, Tyler, Upshur, Van Zandt, Victoria, Walker, Waller, Wharton, Wichita, Williamson, Wilson, and Wise.

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

At the State Level - The Governor has outlined these priorities:

1. Restore power

2. Support local officials to restore water

3. Ensure access to food & resources

4. Get refineries back online

There is now a huge amount of water in the state, distribution is the issue.  Many locations this started out rough, and in some locations in the Hill Country required helicopters.  Expect some improvement today.

Red Cross:

Most Warming Centers we were supporting with materials and/or personnel are closing or now closed.  We are scrambling to provide food and water to partners for PODs and assisting in PODs where requested.

On a side note the COVID-19 vaccination centers we are supporting are opening today with extended hours.  These are locations where local government is asking for assistance.

We are moving solidly into Recovery Phase - Disaster Emergency Supplies, Damage Assessment, etc.  As you can see from the magnitude of these numbers Government must be a large part of this response, and we will focus on helping them in their priorities where requested, focus on vulnerable populations, and continue to support our 5x call rate for individual dwelling disasters - such as fire, car VS dwelling, etc.

As usual, we cannot do this alone without excellent partners like Food Banks, who have been already stretched by COVID-19, and now are stepping up to this additional challenge.  It is a beautiful site to see the 18 wheelers pulling in!  Our cupboards were bare!

Best

Kevin KF5FUZ
DST Lead DR 717-21 Central and South Texas 2/21 BLI
American Red Cross Serving Central and Southwest Texas