Topics

As a Candidate for your NTX Section manager I would like some feedback

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

If elected what would you want me to do for you ?

Some of you may wish to have this discussion outside of the reflector and that is fine, here on the reflector or off-line, I want to know what I can do for you.

You may contact me off list direct by

Email  KG5VK at ARRL dot Net
Telephone 318-470-9806
Cheers!
Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK
Your Candidate for NTX Section manager

"Education - the way to a Section with active amateurs having fun and enjoying our great hobby"

KG5VK Blog

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends

Joe Isabella

Hi Steve,
Since you asked, I'm very interested in the OO replacement program/process.  I'm NOT an OO, but am very interested this new Volunteer Monitor program.  I've worked with interference hunting and frequency management in the military (I've been retired since 2012) and resolved several interference/freq management issues during Iraqi Freedom and other deployments and exercises (hurricane support, post 9/11 activities, etc.) from HF up through SHF.  It seems that the ARRL will be taking over most of the evidence gathering and vetting/selection of VM staff, but the FCC will still be handling enforcement.  I'm wondering where we are as a section/division with this, and where you see this going.  I realize this is mostly an HQ level program, but SMs will be part of the selection/vetting of volunteers.

Thanks and 73,
Joe, N3JI
Lewisville, TX

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 1:40:32 PM CST, Steven Lott Smith <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

If elected what would you want me to do for you ?

Some of you may wish to have this discussion outside of the reflector and that is fine, here on the reflector or off-line, I want to know what I can do for you.

You may contact me off list direct by

Email  KG5VK at ARRL dot Net
Telephone 318-470-9806
Cheers!
Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK
Your Candidate for NTX Section manager

"Education - the way to a Section with active amateurs having fun and enjoying our great hobby"

KG5VK Blog

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

Joe,

Excellent question!
I do not know the precise answer and have reached out to someone I know that probably does have a precise answer
as soon as I hear from him I will share his answers with you, meanwhile Thank You for your service to our country !

Cheers!
Steve

Steven Lott Smith - Your Candidate for NTX Section manager
I will bring more Information & Education to my fellow North Texas ARRL Members

"Education - the way for a Section with active amateurs to have More fun and Enjoy our great hobby"

KG5VK Blog

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 3:50 PM Joe Isabella via Groups.Io <n3ji=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Leo

Promote Youth Clubs/Activities throughout the Section, especially outside the 'big cities'.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018, 13:40 Steven Lott Smith <lottsphoto@... wrote:
If elected what would you want me to do for you ?

Some of you may wish to have this discussion outside of the reflector and that is fine, here on the reflector or off-line, I want to know what I can do for you.

You may contact me off list direct by

Email  KG5VK at ARRL dot Net
Telephone 318-470-9806
Cheers!
Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK
Your Candidate for NTX Section manager

"Education - the way to a Section with active amateurs having fun and enjoying our great hobby"

KG5VK Blog

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

Leo,

I agree we need more youth in everything we do,and appreciate you bringing this up!
In fact if we had a younger core maybe us old timers would be able to find some Twenty something years olds that have the strength to put up some of our antennas

The challenge is how...
One way I foresee is to get a couple of youngsters involved in the Station Appointments under our Section Manager
How many under Twenty folks are there now?
My guess is None for NTX

So we have Technical Advisory positions that could be filled as well as recruitment positions
Of course I realize giving them a Title alone will not create more members, we would need to provide them tools and resources
and appraise for getting the job done

There are some other incentives, like college scholarships that we could work on
to provide our youth incentives

Thanks for adding to the conversation !

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 8:22 AM Leo <n5jep1@...> wrote:
Promote Youth Clubs/Activities throughout the Section, especially outside the 'big cities'.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018, 13:40 Steven Lott Smith <lottsphoto@... wrote:
If elected what would you want me to do for you ?

Some of you may wish to have this discussion outside of the reflector and that is fine, here on the reflector or off-line, I want to know what I can do for you.

You may contact me off list direct by

Email  KG5VK at ARRL dot Net
Telephone 318-470-9806
Cheers!
Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK
Your Candidate for NTX Section manager

"Education - the way to a Section with active amateurs having fun and enjoying our great hobby"

KG5VK Blog

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends

Dick Morgan

Steven,
The Richardson Wireless Klub and K5UTD (University club station) both have members under age 30 who are active now. Tap into them for ideas and reactions.

73, Dick Morgan K6RAH, Dallas TX

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:29 PM, Steven Lott Smith <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Dick,

Thank you for that Tip, I greatly appreciate it
and will contact them for input

cheers!

Steven Lott Smith - Your Candidate for NTX Section manager
I will bring more Information & Education to my fellow North Texas ARRL Members

"Education - the way for our Section with active amateurs to have More fun and Enjoy our great hobby"

KG5VK Blog

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:49 PM Dick Morgan <dick-morgan@...> wrote:
[...]

Here is the answer from the ARRL on the Current OO and the Upcoming VMP (Volunteer Monitor Program)

Hi, Steve.

Thank you for your inquiry.   The new ARRL Volunteer Monitoring program has not started yet, and the Official Observer program is still continuing in the meantime.   October, 2018, QST has a couple of good articles (on page 9 and page 79) about the upcoming transition of the OO Program that will be changing over to the Volunteer Monitoring Program.

Right now,  ARRL is waiting for the FCC to approve the new MOU (the new one that has been submitted for approval between the ARRL and the FCC).   Once this is signed and settled, then ARRL will be in a better position to know exactly what is needed by the FCC  for the Volunteer Monitoring Program.  Then, I believe everyone involved can get things organized in a better way in order to get started correctly and more efficiently.

ARRL would then need to get the word out and around about recruiting Volunteer Monitors and start the process of appointing the Volunteer Monitors.  Also, I can imagine many other steps that need to be taken that would help get the new program started.

I expect that ARRL HQ will want to keep in touch with the OOs, the OOCs, and the Section Managers when there is some pertinent news to offer.

Very likely, there will be news on the main ARRL News page and in QST, too, when there is some more news to report.

73,

Steve Ewald, WV1X

Supervisor, Field Organization Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!

[...]

Owen Anderson

It takes money that they may
not have when you start up.

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 Dick Morgan <section@arrlntx.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Kilgore

Richardson High School has established a ham radio club and has received a club callsign KI5CDT  -  Trustee is the computer science instructor Aaron Schmidlkofer KG5TNI  - Cell phone 469-305-4679.

I know they were trying to put together a package for high altitude balloon.  It was to include a Raspberry Pi with sensors attached.

Doug Kilgore KD5OUG

On 12/19/2018 2:46 PM, Dick Morgan wrote:
[...]

Ken Mitchell

As a candidate for the NTX Section Manager and a member of the ARRLNTX reflector I’ve been monitoring the ARRL SM discussions. Particularly the discussion involving youth in Amateur Radio warrants a comment. From my experience as a previous ARRL Affiliated Club Coordinator and  a member of a club that currently has a number of active “under 30”, as Dick, K5RAH, put it, I can offer a few positive examples.

While supporting a joint Denton County Club table at the Maker Fair earlier this year there was a young HS student and his mom that stopped by the table. After some discussion his interest peaked such that later he took the Technician test and passed. Several in our club have assisted as Elmer at different times. While visiting with him at our Christmas Dinner he asked a technical question that was simple but yet as we talked he caught the how and why a receiver needed a BFO to copy CW astonishingly quickly. He will soon take the General exam as he’s having the time of his life in the hobby.

There are also two YLs, HS age, in the club as well. Both have been NCS for the club weekly information nets and do an extraordinary job.Seated across for one at the dinner she was excited to be a part of the Christmas information net as they actually did something new by having a shared responsibility among several operators, all YL and XYL operators BTW.

We at times beat ourselves up about the average age of the membership and it’s true we aren’t getting any younger, each of us, every day. One thing our club does that seems to bring the membership together is a “Community Report” as an opportunity to provide information about the membership, young and old. There was a father in the Spring, Texas area who became involved due to the son’s interest. This is also true in our club even though the son is now in college.  They now talk via a digital radio network.

From experience as the STX ACC there are a number of ways to involved youth in Amateur Radio were learned and used.  Not all solutions work every time whether it is a club or individual. When a club has a youth focus the members are making themselves available as youth opportunities present themselves. Clubs that are looking for and supporting youth activities usually are successful. ARRL has a number of national activities that support youth education and activities that are available to affiliate clubs. ARRL Support, like the “Teacher Institute on Wireless Technology”, Youth Nets, publications directed to youth, youth awards, etc. are available but the action occurs when a club member gets directly involved.

My youth focus as NTX SM will be to build on past experience while supporting and encouraging club officers and members to search out and support youth activities that emphasize wireless technologies and it’s usage in a youth favorable environment.

I have already had several individual discussions about this and several other NTX Section subjects and welcome your contact. If interested in discussing your amateur radio interests or just want to get to know me better please call 972-704-3855 or email me using my call at arrl.net.

73,
Ken Mitchell

KD2KW - Candidate for NTX Section Manager seeking your vote on ARRL Section Manager ballot in January.

931 Amber Lane

Oak Point, Texas 750658

Joe Isabella

Thanks for this, Ken.  I look forward to the candidate interviews coming up.  What about the ARRL Mentor Fest that the current SM got re-kindled?  I was actually at both of them, and a Mentor at the second.  It seems to have gotten some great traction, and I hate to see that get lost.

Joe, N3JI

On Thursday, December 20, 2018, 9:02:01 PM CST, Ken Mitchell via Groups.Io <kd2kw@...> wrote:

[...]

From experience as the STX ACC there are a number of ways to involved youth in Amateur Radio were learned and used.  Not all solutions work every time whether it is a club or individual. When a club has a youth focus the members are making themselves available as youth opportunities present themselves. Clubs that are looking for and supporting youth activities usually are successful. ARRL has a number of national activities that support youth education and activities that are available to affiliate clubs. ARRL Support, like the “Teacher Institute on Wireless Technology”, Youth Nets, publications directed to youth, youth awards, etc. are available but the action occurs when a club member gets directly involved.

My youth focus as NTX SM will be to build on past experience while supporting and encouraging club officers and members to search out and support youth activities that emphasize wireless technologies and it’s usage in a youth favorable environment.

I have already had several individual discussions about this and several other NTX Section subjects and welcome your contact. If interested in discussing your amateur radio interests or just want to get to know me better please call 972-704-3855 or email me using my call at arrl.net.

73,
Ken Mitchell

KD2KW - Candidate for NTX Section Manager seeking your vote on ARRL Section Manager ballot in January.

931 Amber Lane

Oak Point, Texas 750658

Frank Krizan KR1ZAN

Howdy,

While we're on the subject of getting younger hams and YLs involved in amateur radio, here's an entry from the latest Amateur Radio Newsletter published by Matt, W1MST.  It contains some interesting comparisons to amateur radio.

73, Frank KR1ZAN
Garland, TX

----------------------------

"Every once in a while, I look at the number of licensed radio amateurs in the US and ponder how ham radio participation rates compare with other hobby activities. Take a look at this post from 2005: Some Amateur Radio Statistics and this one from 2015: Ten Year Trends in US Ham Licenses. The latest number … Continue reading Ham Radio, Chess and Model Railroading →

The post Ham Radio, Chess and Model Railroading appeared first on The KØNR Radio Site."

On Dec 21, 2018, at 13:54, Joe Isabella via Groups.Io <n3ji@...> wrote:

[...]

From experience as the STX ACC there are a number of ways to involved youth in Amateur Radio were learned and used.  Not all solutions work every time whether it is a club or individual. When a club has a youth focus the members are making themselves available as youth opportunities present themselves. Clubs that are looking for and supporting youth activities usually are successful. ARRL has a number of national activities that support youth education and activities that are available to affiliate clubs. ARRL Support, like the “Teacher Institute on Wireless Technology”, Youth Nets, publications directed to youth, youth awards, etc. are available but the action occurs when a club member gets directly involved.

My youth focus as NTX SM will be to build on past experience while supporting and encouraging club officers and members to search out and support youth activities that emphasize wireless technologies and it’s usage in a youth favorable environment.

I have already had several individual discussions about this and several other NTX Section subjects and welcome your contact. If interested in discussing your amateur radio interests or just want to get to know me better please call 972-704-3855 or email me using my call at arrl.net.

73,
Ken Mitchell
KD2KW - Candidate for NTX Section Manager seeking your vote on ARRL Section Manager ballot in January.

931 Amber Lane
Oak Point, Texas 750658

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

Several of you asked here and off line about Youth.......

Many of you may not be aware of the relatively new group.....

Youth Amateur Radio Club

I plan on hoisting a youth contesting team later this year at my station.

Growing youth in our hobby starts with Amateur Radio clubs in each of our communities

Your club can take simple steps or giant steps to do it

Often without throwing money at it.
Simple ideas work from donating a few amateur radio books to the school and community Libraries to getting a license for the local school and providing it to the science teacher

I will also ask this.........

Is your club active where students are ?

Physically & Virtually ?

Many clubs do have a Face Book page, many do not - why Not ??
I have a FB page and I use it to Stay in touch with past students that I have taught as well as Amateur radio OPS that have questions or concerns
about my position as as Section manager Candidate

I use Email and the Good Ole Telephone and even Texting
to communicate

Got something on your mind?

KG5VK@...

318-470-9806

FB Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK

REMINDER Ballots must be received at the ARRL no later than 15 February !!!
http://kg5vk.com
Cheers!
Steve

KD5INM

There are several youth in our local area up around Wichita Falls that are active. I know one young man and his dad who work Field Day as well as other activities such as http://www.ww2ok.org/ on the USS Batfish submarine. The young man is one of the best I have seen working a pileup, better than his OM.

John Hamilton KD5INM