locked ARRL FD Site Visits Planed as of 12 June 2019

Edited

ARRL FD Site visits.....

Katherine KT5KMF Section Youth Coordinator, myself and her dad will visit....

Plano K5PRK, McKinney W5MRC,
Richardson K5RWK, Garland K5QHD,
Allen/Wylie/Lucas W5AWL and Saches K5S

I will visit....
K5RKW in Rockwall, Grayson County (Sherman) and Paris WB5RDD
on the way back home if I can catch about
four hours of sleep Saturday evening in
Plano

Ken Mitchell KD2KW
Plans to visit
LAARK
DCARA
LARA

Army Curtis AE5P
Plans to visit
Nacogdoches W5NAC and
Rusk County N5RCA in Henderson

Ken Hansen N2VIP
Will visit
KB5A Metrocrest ARC
and Coppell Hams W5CPL

John Hamilton KD5INM
Section Technical Coordinator & New Assistant SM Ambassador District 1
John will be visiting FD sites within District
One (North West of Ft Worth) and down
into Districts 2 and 4
John is looking at visiting Six sites,
possibly a few more

Greg Evans SEC  K5GTX

DARC (Dallas ARC)
Ham Association of Mesquite (HAM)

Ellis County Amateur Radio Club
Mansfield Johnson Amatuer Radio Service (MJARS)
Tri County ARC
Northeast Tarrant Amateur Radio Club

I'll probably visit a couple Sunday that are local to Plano.

Lee Laird K5UN

Tyler & Henderson FD Sites

Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

Steve,

Please add DARC and IARC (Dallas and Irving) to my list

Ken, N2VIP

On Jun 12, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Evans, K5GTX NTX SEC

So far, I am planning

DARC (Dallas ARC)
Ham Association of Mesquite (HAM)
Ellis County Amateur Radio Club
Mansfield Johnson Amatuer Radio Service (MJARS)
Tri County ARC
Northeast Tarrant Amateur Radio Club

I'll probably visit a couple Sunday that are local to Plano.

Greg Evans, K5GTX

[...]

will visit Tyler and Henderson ARRL FD Sites

I personally visited 11 Sites (One site no one was there)
and yes many many are not happy that I myself did not make it to their ARRL FD site, even though between myself and the other Management team members we covered over 22 sites (almost half the Sites that were posted on the ARRL FD Locator)
Here is a glimpse of what it would take to drive North West, South and East in the ARRL NTX section and keep in mind this is zero time allowed for stepping out of the truck and visiting....
Please keep this in mind when your upset with me for not personally visiting you site.
Not complaining as I really enjoyed the visits, but the time behind the wheel and the lack of sleep can be deadly and I do want to be around for site visits next year
No complaints on doing it but can the expectations be a bit more realistic, I will visit different sites next year from what I personally visited this past week-end.
Thank you for understanding.
PS There is a reason the ARRL stopped awarding points to Clubs that had a visit from the Section manager, I will however continue to visit as many sites as possible and exercise caution in doing repeat visits to the same sites the following year
73
Steven Lott Smith KG5VK
Edit or delete this
No photo description available.

  • Steven Lott Smith And yes I could start away from home by spending the night at one of the towns North West, which I may do next year
    Even so this map shows the travel time just one way starting in Wichita Falls. Marshal, TX to Paris is only about 2 hours
    So we are still looking at 8 hours on the Road
    Show me a plan that takes all this into account, and remember
    if you think I could just limit site visits to 30 minutes or less
    that is easier said than done, after all if I come visit I want to Visit not just drive by and wave - everyone deserves quality time so I can listen to what is on their mind, take notes and follow up with answers.
    Again sincere apologies to those I did not get to this past week-end, I have NOT forgotten you !

Keith Ballow KN5G

Steven,
I think it’s commendable that you and the other NTX Officers made the effort to visit the sites that you did.
Can’t please everyone.
My Thanks to you and the other guys who did get out and visit FD sites!

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

Keith Ballow
1193 CR 481 W
Henderson, TX. 75654
903.658.3777 Cell

--
Keith - KN5G

Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF ARRLNTX ASM/ASEC <hydrashok407@...>

Steve,

I thought you and your team did excellent in your attempts to maximize site visits on Field Day!

I know there are strategical challenges to site visits (from personal experience!), and to those sites you visit, you're the hero... or the "most active Section Manager we've had for 12 years."  To the sites that you don't visit, there's discontent (even from folks who didn't put their site on the ARRL site locator).

"Quality visits" are desirable, but not really practical... for Field Day, specifically.  Last year, I visited 14 Field Day sites, and would have loved to have spent the entire Field Day at almost all of them.  I met a lot of great hams (and a few not-so-great hams).  I had some "take aways" from each and every site I visited... mostly good.  I would say I could have easily spent the entire Field Day with 13 of the 14 sites I visited... even the one where they tore down early because band conditions were showing them no love.  The one single "bad" experience wasn't really bad, it's just that the group was focused on their group, and they weren't really receptive to visitors... including section officials.  (Of course, there was ONE site that promised me cookies, but didn't have them when I showed up... LOL)

In planning next year's site visits, I would suggest looking at the map and focusing on sites that didn't get a visit from any official this year.  Unfortunately, it's gonna mean some serious miles, because geographically, the NTX section is bigger than some entire states!

The section manager is only one person, but you've managed to take a few of your section management team and divvy out parts of the section to include more sites without too much strain on any one person.  Kudos to you for that!  Keep building your team, and before long, every site that wants a visit should be able to get one.

I would call this year's Field Day a #success for the ARRL North Texas Section!  Keep it up!

-=Jerry=-  W5BFF

#FieldDay #FD19 #ARRL #ARRLNTX

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM Steven Lott Smith KG5VK <lottsphoto@...> wrote:
[...]

Keith KN5G and Gerry W5BFF

Thank you both for the excellent advice and the appreciation !

Tele 318-470-9806
2019 ARRL NTX Section Manager
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:40 AM Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF ARRLNTX ASM/ASEC <hydrashok407@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Klick (KG5CK)

It was nice seeing you on Saturday with KT5KMF and her dad. To the clubs that you were able to visit, it was a great treat! To the other clubs that you were unable to visit on THIS Field Day, it's something to look forward to. Thankyou once again for putting in the effort and work that you have.

Don

You are welcome !

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM Don Klick (KG5CK) <kg5ck@...> wrote:
It was nice seeing you on Saturday with KT5KMF and her dad. To the clubs that you were able to visit, it was a great treat! To the other clubs that you were unable to visit on THIS Field Day, it's something to look forward to. Thankyou once again for putting in the effort and work that you have.

Don Weeks

Steve,

Thanks for visiting us at RWK this weekend. It was an honor and we enjoyed it. I know the clubs you will be able to visit next year will be glad you did. And hey, those that did not get to see you should come by Hamcom next year ;)

Best Regards
Don
N5SKT

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM Steven Lott Smith KG5VK <lottsphoto@...> wrote:
Don

You are welcome !

Tele 318-470-9806
2019 ARRL NTX Section Manager
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM Don Klick (KG5CK) <kg5ck@...> wrote:
It was nice seeing you on Saturday with KT5KMF and her dad. To the clubs that you were able to visit, it was a great treat! To the other clubs that you were unable to visit on THIS Field Day, it's something to look forward to. Thankyou once again for putting in the effort and work that you have.

Don,

Thank you and the honor was all mine !!!

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:45 PM Don Weeks <don.l.weeks@...> wrote:
[...]

James Sutton

Steve:
   I’m amazed you visited that many sites and so disappointed you were met with complaints.  Fortunately, this world has mostly doers and the  remainder complainers.  Thank you for your hard work!  James Sutton AC0LI

On Jun 25, 2019, at 09:41, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks James

I have to learn it is the way things are,  I really did not want to start a pitty party thread and it is turning out that that is what I did
I am proud of what are Section Management Team was able to do
we covered almost half of the sites 55 of them

Next year I will visit different places
and if I am still SM the year after that different places again until I can start doing repeat visits

Fact is I am enjoying what I am doing and did expect a few that would never be happy.
We have a great Section Management Team.
Almost everyone is doing their job.
The glass is more than half full and we can all be proud of that.

ARRL Member ship in the ARRL NTX is also slightly up

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 7:34 AM James Sutton <jmsutt84@...> wrote:
[...]

This thread has pointed out I really did not to keep adding to it and it has served it's purpose.

And that most of the ARRL NTX members appreciate the Section Management Team efforts

Thanks to everyone for the emails and notes here
The Glass if more than half full

I am closing the thread to any more posts and looking forward to doing FD Visits even better next year

Steve