Aux Comm

Bill KD5UEW

I was wondering about AUX COMM in TEXAS.
I found several messages about checking readiness but they all seem to be old news.

Do I want to take the class?
Do I want to give up and blow it off as an awful waste of time?

Is the class available?
The only class announcement was old.

After I take the class how long to do all the extra activities?
Where would I start and how long will it take?

No really, tell me what you really think!
--
Bill
KD5UEW

Markus Thomerson K5UFO DRO3

I too would be very interested in attending an AUXCOMM class.  The last two I signed up for were cancelled because of COVID.
Markus, K5UFO
03-337B

On 7/31/2022 7:19 PM, Bill KD5UEW wrote:
I was wondering about AUX COMM in TEXAS.
I found several messages about checking readiness but they all seem to be old news.

Do I want to take the class?
Do I want to give up and blow it off as an awful waste of time?

Is the class available?
The only class announcement was old.

After I take the class how long to do all the extra activities?
Where would I start and how long will it take?

No really, tell me what you really think!
--
Bill
KD5UEW
RACES
11-309 CLO

Richard S.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking this course myself!

Richard S.
KF5RHI
04-429E CLOA

I was wondering about AUX COMM in TEXAS.
I found several messages about checking readiness but they all seem to be old news.

Do I want to take the class?
Do I want to give up and blow it off as an awful waste of time?

Is the class available?
The only class announcement was old.

After I take the class how long to do all the extra activities?
Where would I start and how long will it take?

No really, tell me what you really think!
--
Bill
KD5UEW
RACES
11-309 CLO

Greg Evans, K5GTX NTX SEC

Visit preparingtexas.org. There you will find scheduled AUXCOMM classes.

ARRL NTX SEC

Greg Evans, K5GTX
ARRL NTX SEC
ARRL NTX ASM
713.410.2376

[...]

I will advise if I get notified of any. But that is the place where they will be listed.

Greg Evans, K5GTX
ARRL NTX SEC
ARRL NTX ASM
713.410.2376

[...]

I visit that site regularly.  FWIW, there is a COMT and E/L/K 969 (COML) class scheduled for September and October respectively.
Markus, K5UFO
03-337B

On 7/31/2022 8:19 PM, Ken Hansen wrote:
[...]

tell me what I need to know about coml and comt

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO
On 7/31/2022 8:26 PM, Markus Thomerson K5UFO 03-337B wrote:
[...]

Best information with a google search for "FEMA COML" and "FEMA COMT"

On 7/31/2022 8:53 PM, Bill KD5UEW wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the responses.

It would seem there is nothing available in NTX.

Is there just not any interest here?

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO

On 7/31/2022 9:07 PM, Markus Thomerson K5UFO 03-337B wrote:
[...]

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

From what I see it's a 2 day (16 hour) class, it likely is quite an effort to present it.

They made a big deal out of offering it at Hamcation in FL, the pre-reqs were quite significant and attendees had to apply and be accepted to attend.

Prerequisites for Attendance

Personal experience: A valid/signed FCC amateur radio license; Past experience in auxiliary emergency communications; An affiliation with a public safety agency (served agency); A desire to work with COMLs in a NIMS ICS environment. Must have completed the following online courses from the FEMA EMI website: IS-100, Introduction to the ICS; IS-200, ICS for Single Resources and Initial Incidents; IS-700, National Incident Management System (NIMS), an Introduction; IS-800, National Response Framework (NRF).

I think it takes more than interest to make this class happen.

Ken, N2VIP

On Jul 31, 2022, at 21:12, Bill KD5UEW <bfeltenb@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the responses.

It would seem there is nothing available in NTX.

Is there just not any interest here?

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO

Robert KD5FEE

Good information and good studies, documentation list, affiliation and experience credentials. I have completed most of the IS courses and they are easy self paced learning. The "old" ARRL ARES training was a bit arduous but worth while. ARES affiliation might help, RACES affiliation should count. Past experience in Aux Em Comm is probably the difficult criteria for people that haven't been involved in past actual real Em Comm events, SAR, or the like so a potential "catch 22" as is association with a Served Agency. The last two requirements have solutions if a person "looks around" for opportunities.

The point of all the requirements is to ensure volunteers are knowledgable, sincere, and "mature" enough to work in the system at their assigned task position and level without becoming part of the problem instead of being part of the solution. The requirements may seem onerous but if you are willing to complete all those check boxes you might be a good candidate. End of lecture.

Respectfully,

rmj

On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 9:48 PM Ken Hansen, N2VIP <ken@...> wrote:
From what I see it's a 2 day (16 hour) class, it likely is quite an effort to present it.

[...]

Semper Vigilo
Vivos et doctrina

Chuck

Also would like to take the class. Have been watching Preparing Texas but so far no classes scheduled.

Adam K4SPB

I took it in Colorado before moving here, I highly recommend it.

I took COML in Corpus back in April and the instructor works for the DPS SWIC office and said if we want ANY classes (COMT COML or AUXCOMM) taught, get 10 people confirmed and they will come anywhere in the state.

Joshua

I would be interested in this class. Been on my list for a while now. Thanks for the info.

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

Is anyone collecting names so we can use that list to formally request the class from DPS SWIC office?

We'll need to find a date, a location, etc...

It seems the need/interest/desire is there, but someone needs to actually take up the issue and make it happen.

Ken, N2VIP

On Aug 2, 2022, at 21:40, Joshua <ki5bzw@...> wrote:

I would be interested in this class. Been on my list for a while now. Thanks for the info.

Kevin Grantham N5KRG

I’d like to take AUXCOM if it is offered.

73,

Kevin N5KRG

Kevin N5KRG

Rod Snitker AI5GU

Same for me. I would like to take it.

Rod Snitker
AI5GU
04-085-K TX RACES

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

My question remains, is anyone collecting names to convince the appropriate group to offer the training?

I don't see anyone offering to try and make this course actually happen, we're just telling each other we'd like to attend this AUXCOMM training.

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX

On Aug 4, 2022, at 10:05, Rod Snitker AI5GU via groups.io <ai5gu@...> wrote:

Same for me. I would like to take it.

Rod Snitker
AI5GU
04-085-K TX RACES

Bill KD5UEW

I am in Waco TX.

I am asking local to Waco Area interested and making a list.

Those responding to ARRLntx might need a separate list.

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO