Hamshack Hotline

dale finley

Edited

Please go hamshackhotline.com to review and sign up for a hamshack hotline VOIP FREE extension.
Call me if you need help.
de kb5nft
de k5psr our club call
Conf node 344, user pin 244444 for our Philmont Scouting conference, 344.
or
Call me anytime on Extension 6100000760 or 6100000866 on Hamshackhotline.
QSL
73

BTW, We need to setup an ARRLNTX hamshackhotlike conf. I can help.
Dale Finley

Let me explain a bit:   HH = Hamshackhotline,   HHUS = the USA sip server,  HHUX = experimental for non-supported IP Unlocked phones
1) This VOIP voice and data across IP works, and is free
2) No Ports need to be open, so once you have a provioned phone, you can take it anywhere and just plug into a LAN router port, wait for it to boot and you are live.
3) This gives us the capability to usei it in an EOC, Shelter, at home, and even mobile without port opening issues.  However, there are some issues with Tmobile.
4)  a. HH direct ham to ham calls
     b. HH direct to Reflectors, like 94107 freeStar which is cross linked thru Allstar, DMR, etc. etc.   Push *99 for PUSH to TALK, Push # to Un-Push to Talk, world wide thru IP Bridges
     c. HH audio "one way audio feeds", such as CW Practice, BBC, etc.  Listen ONLY
     d. HH Many Conference Nodes, like my "Philmont Scouting"  number 344, the pin is 244444 and stay connected up to 6 hours.
     e. HH EOC conferences, Stormspotting, world wide
5)  More later... gotta run...

Dale,

The link you provided does not work.
I have heard of this VOIP Tool before
and I am thinking why do we need it?

Today we use this the email reflector to communicate with a group of people, direct emails to specific persons
and zoom and other conferencing tools

What does Ham Shack Online offer us that none of those other tools can?

Why do you feel so strongly that we MUST use it?

I for one do not look forward to adding another telephone back into my Ham Shack
what am I missing by not doing this?

How much benefit will it be when I am on the road at club meetings and/or hamfest?

While we are chatting....
What is new with the Boy Scouts?
When was the last time you saw a Boy Scout earn a ham radio license?
How do we garner more young amateur Radio OPS from the Scouts you meet?
I recall when we had HamCom, there were many Scouts in attendance, where did those prospective ham Radio OPS go?

Mike Barnett KF5DEY

Steve, I will answer the Hamshack Hotline question.

It is a VOIP (Voice over IP) service run by hams, free for hams...that is more like an internal (office) phone system and is not part of the normal phone system.

Within HH there are some radio devices hooked up as well as some 'conference rooms' set up world wide.

It requires either a supported or compatible VOIP phone (SIP phone) for example a Cisco SPA504G...or a 'softphone' app on your device (phone/tablet).

Also if you already have a PBX, you can add it as part of your PBX...for example, I can call from my phone to my ALLSTAR node, and from there connect to external Allstar or Echolink nodes.

However usage in North TX is minimal...in our club of 40 (Cowtown Amateur Radio Club), I am the only user.   https://map.hamshackhotline.com/

https://hamshackhotline.com/

https://wiki.hamshackhotline.com/doku.php

Mike
KF5DEY

Mike

Thanks for the info.

So why does it work better than using the tools we now use.....
Email Reflector for Group discussion, and Zoom for video conferencing

IOW what are the pros and Cons?

I believe from looking at this tool set in the past the big minus was i had to get new hardware
and then have a Telephone in my ham shack
And then not everyone was using it, so I proceeded no further

Am I missing why this MUST have, tool set?

By the way I looked you up on QRZ
are you as close to those cross country power lines as it appears in the Satellite view of the Map near you?

Steven Lott Smith
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 6:20 AM Mike Barnett KF5DEY <kf5dey@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert KD5FEE

Other questions:

Is the process “end to end encrypted”

Is the routing “obfuscated” as with a virtual private network

What is the base privacy policy and protection

How is the system/software vetted secure, updated, monitored for compromise, etc.

Normally “the easier to use the easier to abuse” not just in terms of licensed users only which is meaningless to people who seek to compromise systems.

Thanks for any info.

rmj

--
Semper Vigilo
Vivos et doctrina

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

I am on Hamshack Hotline (after being coerced by a friend to join ;^), and I too struggle with finding a real purpose for the tool in the average Ham's arsenal of tools.

In many ways it feels like Allstar or Echolink, and if local repeaters and Allstar nodes are connected to the HH network, it is just as useful as either Allstar or Echolink.

Where it can be useful is when the HH nodes are connected over something like an AREDN mesh network, so that the HH phones become like field telephones (you can 'ring up' a water station on a charity run, for example), but even then, you are relying on an AREDN mesh network with the needed equipment likely deployed next to a club repeater, so why not just use the club repeater?

I feel I understand HH, I have prepared two handsets, have built a portable AREDN node and thru my club sponsor one AREDN mesh node (with a second on the way), so I'm a supporter of the tool, but I am also aware of its limitations.

As a tool that relies on the public internet infrastructure it offers little benefit for EmComm or other radio-related activity, but if used in conjunction with an AREDN mesh-like technology (private network infrastructure with resiliency built-in and independent of the public internet) I suppose there could be some useful application in certain cases.

Try this mental exercise - imagine you have a HH handset on your desk, and next to it is a landline phone and a radio for the local repeater. If you want to call you ham friend and ask them a question, what is your go-to device? Probably the landline, because that has the best chance of reaching your friend on the first try wherever they are.

It can be fun to simply hit the speakerphone and dial up the BBC or listen to old-time radio shows, but that seems like a forced application, because I can accomplish the same thing with an internet connected computer...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Ken, N2VIP
ACC, NTX

On May 13, 2022, at 05:49, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK ARRL NTX SM <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric KD7CAO

When HH first came out I was very interested in the tech from an EOC type operation. As I began to learn more and try to get involved I discovered the group running the program to be less than ham centric. It seemed to me they wanted a private network within the ham ecosphere that allowed them to conduct themselves in a vulgar manner. Personally, I gave up on the tech as they were not someone I was interested in being associated with. I love the idea of all new expansion into Amateur Radio, but I don't want to lose the fundamentals of ham radio that we all base our hobby on.
--
Eric KD7CAO
North Central Texas

James Mack

I joined my Allstar node and our club Asterisk based PBX to the Meshphone network headed up by N2MH with plans to expand the reach of it as well across the AREDN network.

For me it started with just an Allstar node as a project to tinker with and so I could link to other nodes around the globe,  Then I enabled SIP capabilities on it and eventually with the help of Mark N2MH expanded it to enable calling into other ASterisk based nodes (Allstar nodes, FreePBX, ASterisk PBX, etc) connected via the AREDN network.

Today I even have an extension dedicated to the local NOAA Radio Weather broadcast one can dial into to listen to the local weather.  It is part of another project by Martin VE6HV called PiWxRx.  May not seem like much to some, but it was just another project I am working with to expand the uses of our AREDN network.

As previously noted VoIP may not be for everyone.  I see it as an extension (no pun intended) to the hobby that has niche potential as well as a means to tinker and expand some exposure to our AREDN network outside of just having a node in the air.

Regards,
73 de James KG5GSI

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 9:20 AM dale finley <kb5nft@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Please go  to review and sign up for a hamshack hotline VOIP FREE extension.
Call me if you need help.
de kb5nft
de k5psr our club call
Conf node 344, user pin 244444 for our Philmont Scouting conference, 344.
or
Call me anytime on Extension 6100000760 or 6100000866 on Hamshackhotline.
QSL
73
BTW, We need to setup an ARRLNTX hamshackhotlike conf. I can help.
Dale Finley

Jimmy Dominguez

Do you have specifics on required hardware?

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 10:16 PM dale finley <kb5nft@...> wrote:
Please got to https://hamshackhotlne.com to review and sign up for a hamshack hotline VOIP FREE extension.
Call me if you need help.
de kb5nft
de k5psr our club call
Conf node 344, user pin 244444 for our Philmont Scouting conference, 344.
or
Call me anytime on Extension 6100000760 or 6100000866 on Hamshackhotline.
QSL
73
BTW, We need to setup an ARRLNTX hamshackhotlike conf. I can help.
Dale Finley

Ken Hansen, N2VIP

This page list the various soft (as in software-only) and hard end-point devices currently dupported by HH.

https://wiki.hamshackhotline.com/doku.php?id=kb:supported.endpoints

A desk phone device can be anywhere from $25-100, and devices vary with regard to supporting WiFi, wired Ethernet, etc.

I like the Cisco phones, but in my career I was a user of Cisco desk sets, so that's where my inclination is - grandstream devices also work well.

There are a ton of YouTube videos for setting up various devices to use HH.

Ken, N2VIP

On May 13, 2022, at 16:06, Jimmy Dominguez <ke5peq@...> wrote:

[...]

As far as I know, it does not, hence the reason few are using it...however some organizations (EOCs) use them for quick conference calls...much quicker than setting up a zoom meeting.  Basically you can have a 'room' set up with preset users...hit a button and call the group.   Or have a 'meeting' that is always live where people can enter and leave as they want...some 'meetings' require the owner to allow in callers.

IOW what are the pros and Cons?

No con, but like any hardware...you need someone on the other end.  Pro? another tool...It is exactly like an office phone,  where you can dial other extensions for quick calls.

I believe from looking at this tool set in the past the big minus was i had to get new hardware
and then have a Telephone in my ham shack
You need a compatible VOIP phone (which was already mentioned here)  There is also a software option (cellphone app?)
I have a phone in my garage...it is connected via wifi...

And then not everyone was using it, so I proceeded no further

Am I missing why this MUST have, tool set?
It is not a must have...I do not promote it...but it isn't a negative.  No more negative to the hobby than using hotspots with your digital radio.  Or making an Allstar node and using that to connect to an Allstar linked repeater...like the NCTC.

By the way I looked you up on QRZ
are you as close to those cross country power lines as it appears in the Satellite view of the Map near you?

No idea where it shows me on the map...but I am half a mile from those lines that leave the power plant.

As far as the post above talking about vulgar or non ham activity...I honestly have no idea what they are talking about, and am curious.

Other question someone asked is it encrypted...it uses standard VOIP telephony...so I suggest directing your question to the folks running it...but it is a VOIP on a PBX (a master switching routing system for calls within a building for example), you have to be entered into the system, and then your phone gets a number and gets registered.

Here is an easy way to envision it for anyone who has ever worked someplace where there are phones that are extensions of the main number.   Your HH phone is an extension...the difference is there is no outside line...all phones operate within the 'workplace'   Now it happens that the workplace is world wide.   There is no 911, no inbound calls...just intercom calls between extensions...and conference calls between extensions, and RF devices hooked up as extensions that can be dialed.

(I am simplifying the technology...but just trying to describe how it works)

For example of the RF device linking... look at K8JTK https://www.jeffreykopcak.com/ham-radio/k8jtk-hub-digital-voip-mutimode-interlink-system/
You can call in to that linked system through Allstar, Echolink, DMR, local repeater, etc... and you can dial it through HH.

Nobody is forcing anyone to use it, it is just another communication tool, and another way for folks to expand their knowledge.

One time I was trying to configure some ham software, so I dialed up a ham in Hawaii for technical support....

Mike
KF5DEY

Adam K4SPB

Edited

And for those concerned about hardware, these can be had for as much as a baofeng. Then you just need Ethernet and power. I use a 12v to 5v buck converter to power it and just plug it in to powerpoles but everyone has at least one 5v wallwart sitting around.

Also to use the softphone option you need at least one hardware endpoint first.