Observer Name: John
Date: 2020-8-11    Report Time: 09:37

Location: McKinney, TX    Optional GPS Coordinates: 33.1661, -96.7260
City: MCKINNEY  County: USA  State: TX

Current Conditions:
SUN

Temperature 99 °F  HUMIDITY: 50 % DEWPOINT 45 °F
Barometer 30.02 in.Hg   Three hour trend: STEADY
Cloud Cover: None
Wind Speed: 0 MPH Estimated     Direction From: North
Wind Gusts: 0 MPH   Wind Gusts MAX: 0  MPH
Rain 1 HR: 0 inches      Rain Total: 0 inches
Snow 1 HR: -- inches    Snow Total: -- inches  Water Content: --

NWS Level: NONE ISSUED

Notes:

It's time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

The ARRL has submitted proposal to band changes to the FCC. Here is a link to the proposed changes:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ODV/Second%20Board%20Meeting%20July%202020/Doc%2025A%20Band%20Plan%20Final-1b.pdf

What are your thoughts on this? Let me know in the comments for this week's net. And yes, I am aware that we have several participants out-side the US. I would like to hear your thoughts as well. Nice to have a different perspective.

Please visit the Winlink Wednesday NTX web site for more info and instructions on checking into the net:
https://bit.ly/2TfJNJE

If you haven't already, please join our mailing list on Groups.IO
https://groups.io/g/WinlinkWednesdayNTX

John Hill - KF5VO

It's that time of the week again for Winlink Wednesday!

In the past year, we have had many people join the net on a regular basis. One of the questions early on was to let me know what type of equipment you're using to send your Winlink messages. Since we have so many new people, I thought it would be fun to ask the question again. It also lets other people get an idea of how they may improve their station. So, whether you're running VHF, HF, telnet, or whatever, let me know your Winlink setup for all modes you have capability for.

Please visit the Winlink Wednesday NTX web site for more info and instructions on checking into the net:
https://bit.ly/2TfJNJE

If you haven't already, please join our mailing list on Groups.IO
https://groups.io/g/WinlinkWednesdayNTX

John Hill - KF5VO

It's that time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

There appears to be much activity on 6 meter band lately. So, tell me, are you active on 6M? If not, what is preventing you from getting on that band? Let me know either way in this week's comment for check-in.

Please visit the Winlink Wednesday NTX web site for more info and instructions on checking into the net:
https://bit.ly/2TfJNJE

If you haven't already, please join our mailing list on Groups.IO
https://groups.io/g/WinlinkWednesdayNTX

John Hill - KF5VO

This past week, the Winlink team has stated that the Winmor mode is now deprecated. If you currently use Winmor, it's recommended that you use another mode such as VARA or Ardop.

https://winlink.org/content/winmor_deprecated

So, if you have HF capabilities, try sending this week's check-in with either VARA or Ardop.

This Wednesday, July 15, is National Tapioca Pudding Day (not sure which nation). So, in honor of that, let me know in the comments the flavor of your favorite pudding.
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-tapioca-pudding-day-july-15/

Please visit the Winlink Wednesday NTX web site for more info and instructions on checking into the net:
https://bit.ly/2TfJNJE

If you haven't already, please join our mailing list on Groups.IO
https://groups.io/g/WinlinkWednesdayNTX

John Hill - KF5VO

This week marks 1 year since we started this version of Winlink Wednesday! Wow, how this net has grown! Thanks to everyone that participates, from the first time check-in to the people who have been here since the beginning. Thank you all.

In light of this anniversary, I would like to know of things you would like to see as improvements to either the net itself or the Winlink Wednesday web site. Let me know in this week's comments.

The file for last week's check ins has been posted to the Files section on the Groups.IO page.

Please visit the Winliink Wednesday web site for more info and instructions on checking into the net:
https://bit.ly/2TfJNJE

If you haven't already, please join our mailing list on Groups.IO
https://groups.io/g/WinlinkWednesdayNTX

John Hill - KF5VO

For anyone interested, here are the maps for the Winlink Wednesday check-ins for Texas. For the world maps, those are updated weekly on the Winlink Wednesday website.

John Hill - KF5VO

Since most of the check-ins for last week stated that they will be participating in Field Day, I thought it might be fun to get a little practice in with message sending. The goal is to get you familiar with the Radiogram template that is in Winlink Express. This will help with bonus points in rules 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 (http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Field-Day/2020/2020%20Field%20Day%20Packet%20Rev%20a.pdf )

Here are this week's instructions:

For this week, we will be using the Radiogram form. This is located in the Template Manager under Standard Templates --> RADIOGRAM RRI Forms --> Radiogram.txt

On the form, I'll leave it up to you to figure out what to put in each in-put box.

In the text box at the bottom to the left of the "Submit" button, you will need to put my call sign, KF5VO, in this box.

On the New Message screen after you submit the form, make sure the To: field is to KF5VO. Make sure the Subject: field is "Winlink Wednesday Check-in"

Good luck!

John Hill - KF5VO

It's that time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

It seems like the ARRL has finally shored up the rules concerning Field Day (http://www.arrl.org/field-day). How does this impact your participation in Field Day for this year? Let me know what your plans are for Field Day in the comments for this week's check-in.

For more information on how to check in to the net, please visit the Winlink Wednesday NT website at:
https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

Join us on Groups.IO
https://groups.io/g/WinlinkWednesdayNTX

Johnnie Young KG5CQO

I plan on checking in.

Johnnie Young

KG5CQO

It's that time once again for Winlink Wednesday!

Last week I was fortunate enough to appear on Ham Nation #454 to discuss Winlink with Gordon West. The segment starts around 22:38. He was very interested in our net and what we have going on here. We have several new participants as a result. If you're here from Ham Nation, thank you for joining us!

One of the things that Gordo asked was if I had any good stories concerning Winlink and COVID 19. Well, I don't have any, but if you do, share them with me and I will get them to Gordo. For this week's net, in the comment section, let me know if you know of any good stories on how Winlink has been used with COVID 19.

[...]

Ken Mitchell

Perry,

I just put "None" in all the blanks and a Date due to the date format.

73,
Ken
KD2KW

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 2:35:25 PM CDT, Perry Nettles <p.nettles@...> wrote:

Hi John,
Tried to use the ARC 6409 form with my check in today, but it wouldn't allow me to send a blank form. It required me to fill in the information blanks.
I sent a practice request form instead.

Thanks for WinLink Wednesday,
Perry Nettles - KF5SMU

On May 19, 2020, at 20:08, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

This week's Winlink Wednesday check-ins will be different. In preparation of an upcoming Red Cross / ARES exercise, I would like for this week to use a different Template when checking in. Instead of the Winlink Net check-in template, I want you to use the form located here in the Template Manager:

Standard Templates --> ARC Forms --> ARC 6409 Requisition Form.txt

You don't have to fill out the form. You can send it blank.

I look forward to receiving your check-in this week.

Don't forget to visit the Winlink Wednesday NT website. It was updated last week.
https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

Perry Nettles

[...]

In the comments for this week's net, let me know how you celebrated Mother's Day. It doesn't matter if you celebrated with your mother, your wife, your daughter, or any other special lady. Let me know in the comments of the check-in form.

Other instructions:

With Winlink Express, use the "Winlink Check In" template when checking in.  As a reminder, to use the template, when the New Message screen is opened, click on the menu items Select Template --> Standard Templates --> GENERAL Forms --> Winlink Check In.txt. If you do not find the template, you may have an older version of the templates. You can find the download from the Winlink.org web site. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file from the download site.

Make sure in the Send To box to put my call sign, KF5VO.

In the location box, put the name of your city/town, and which gateway you're connecting through (if known).

IF YOU ARE USING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WINLINK TO CHECK IN:
In the body of the message, place the following information separated by a tab (not just spaces). This is how the information is sent if you are using the Winlink form. It makes it much easier for me to tally the results.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

Upcoming Winlink presentations:
May 16 - Lewisville Amateur Radio Association https://w5lvc.org/

May 26 - Collins Amateur Radio Club http://n5cxx.us/

John Hill - KF5VO

Cinco de Mayo is an annual celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862. More popularly celebrated in the United States than Mexico, the date has become associated with the celebration of Mexican-American culture. This year, the date happens to fall on Taco Tuesday. So, the question for today's net is: How do you prefer to have your tacos? Remember, there are no wrong answers. That is, unless you don't eat tacos. That's just wrong. :) Let me know in the comments for this week.

[...]

Thanks.

I've created another image from QSOmaps using the TX State QSO map. I created an ADIF files for everyone in Texas that has checked in and loaded it as if it were for the TX QSO party. Made a cool map to get a reference of where we're getting out to in the state.

Rommie Bollinger, KW5RAB

John,

Amazing data view. I really like what the section is doing and your contributions. Glad to see all the activity from all over and especially from southwest of metro (my neck of woods).

Keep it up!

73,
Rommie (KW5RAB)

Stephen Forney (W3TEX)

Impressive !!!

Thanks for your leadership with Winlink Wednesday...

Stephen (W3TEX)

On Apr 30, 2020, at 3:24 PM, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

Since I've had a little bit of time at home, I finally got around to loading all the check-ins from the nets into a database. I was able to pull in some information from QRZ for the call signs. I created a ADIF file of everyone that's checked in, and uploaded that to QSOMaps.org to produce one of those fancy maps that the POTA guys use. So, here are two of those for all the Winlink Wednesday check-ins.
<Checkin_Maps_NTX.jpg>

<Checkin_Maps.jpg>

Ron Ford, KF5OMH

Wow, looks like someone dropped a blue ink bottle on the floor at your house and the map is the resulting splatter pattern. Very interesting data.

73, Ron KF5OMH