Topics

locked ARRLNTX #facebook

section@arrlntx.groups.io Integration <section@...>

By ARRL - North Texas Section

The July Newsletter has been published!

Are you a member of the ARRL NTX Section Facebook Group? If not, you're missing out on some excellent photos and discussions on what's going on around the North Texas Section!

Highlights in this edition of the newsletter include:

Over 22 ARRL FD Site Visits by Section Officials & The West Gulf Division Director

Notes from Katherine KT5KMF, our SYC

Ham of The Year Nominations – Winner to be Announced in September

New Public Information Officer Appointed Brent Boydston KF5THB

Notes from Greg Evans K5GTX our SEC

Division Director & Section Manager Round Table Visits with Club Leadership Starts

The 90 Days of Danger

The 2 Meter spectrum is not currently at Risk

Army Curtis

PLEASE, PLEASE, PUBLISH THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION ON THE SECTION WEBSITE, NOT, REPEAT NOT, ONLY ON FACEBOOK!!!

There are a lot of ARRL members in this section, myself included, who are not on Facebook and have no intentions of getting on facebook. If you want to republish something like this from the section website to facebook, wonderful, However, please do not only publish it only to Facebook. Your audience will be greatly reduced from what it could be.

PLEASE!

73, Army Curtis, AE5P

ASM, NTX

Are you a member of the ARRL NTX Section Facebook Group? If not, you're missing out on some excellent photos and discussions on what's going on around the North Texas Section!

Highlights in this edition of the newsletter include:

Over 22 ARRL FD Site Visits by Section Officials & The West Gulf Division Director

Notes from Katherine KT5KMF, our SYC

Ham of The Year Nominations – Winner to be Announced in September

New Public Information Officer Appointed Brent Boydston KF5THB

Notes from Greg Evans K5GTX our SEC

Division Director & Section Manager Round Table Visits with Club Leadership Starts

The 90 Days of Danger

The 2 Meter spectrum is not currently at Risk

Ross Bennett

On Jul 10, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Army Curtis <ae5p@...> wrote:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PUBLISH THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION ON THE SECTION WEBSITE, NOT, REPEAT NOT, ONLY ON FACEBOOK!!!

There are a lot of ARRL members in this section, myself included, who are not on Facebook and have no intentions of getting on facebook. If you want to republish something like this from the section website to facebook, wonderful, However, please do not only publish it only to Facebook. Your audience will be greatly reduced from what it could be.

PLEASE!
I wholly agree with this. To the greatest extent possible, we should avoid posting any content to a system which requires accounts to view. Facebook, groups.io, etc.

The majority of local hams here do not know how to get to Facebook or groups.io, and too many of the rest don’t know how to behave once they get there.

Ross Bennett
Amateur Radio Station KI5SR
Kilgore, Texas

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK

Army,

It is on the ARRLNTX.org website as well as FB
And will go out in an email to all NTX ARRL members
Late today

Just like every News Letter has been since I took office

If you can’t find it on the ARRLNTX website
That is a different issue

Steve
Kg5vk

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Army Curtis <ae5p@...> wrote:

[...]

Tele 318-470-9806
2019 ARRL NTX Section Manager
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

Thomas Kisner <tom@...>

If you click on the actual link on the image below, it goes to the section website, not Facebook.

In fact, the newsletter is not on Facebook at all, the Facebook entry is just a link to the section website.

73,

Tom KN6Q

On 2019-07-10 14:05, Ross Bennett wrote:

[...]

Sent via the https://KN6Q.org server in Briar Texas.

AC5EZ

Army Curtis is right. I too am not a Facebook user. Using Facebook you audience will be fewer.

Ken Rainey, AC5EZ

On July 10, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Army Curtis <ae5p@...> wrote:

[...]

Ross,

The current newsletter is on the ARRLNTX website
As well as the ARRLNTX Facebook group page
And will be emailed to every Arrl North Texas
Member. Just like the prior two were

I do respect those that don’t want to use Facebook
However you should realize there are many members that prefer to get their info there as well

On 2019-07-10 14:05, Ross Bennett wrote:

[...]

Steve,

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately the email that went out lead the reader to believe they must be on Facebook to see the Newsletter. I’m delighted to hear that is not the case. However, I do not find it on the Section website at http://www.arrlntx.org/ either.

A suggestion for you. Just now in trying to find the newsletter, I went first to the http://www.arrl.org/ site, which has a link on the header that says: North Texas Section News, but that leads you to http://www.arrl.org/sections/view/north-texas which is not where the news is. I’m sure there are better/faster ways to get to the correct website, but to the average member it is not obvious. I understand that previous SM’s were not happy with having to use the official ARRL provided facility and started an external web site which is now arrlntx.org. That’s fine if that’s the way it is, but it sure makes it confusing for the average person out there trying to find us. Just providing a live link on the http://www.arrl.org/sections/view/north-texas site could really help a lot. Any way that could be done?

73, Army

[...]

Thank you. I just went back and checked. The image itself is a link to the section website while the link at the top of the email goes to Facebook. A lot of us ‘more experienced folks’ (otherwise known as older people) tend to click on links that are obviously links. Until you said something  I had no idea the image itself was a link.

The way the email was worded led me (and apparently others) to believe you had to go to (join) Facebook to be able to see the Newsletter. I’m delighted to hear that is not the case.

I do hope that future announcements might make this point a little more clearly.

73, Army AE5P

On 2019-07-10 14:05, Ross Bennett wrote:

[...]

Robert Di Gioia

I do not use Facebook either, but luckily for us Steve and his team seem to understand that not all members like to get information the same way. If you click the ARRL logo at the bottom of the email it will take you to the newsletter on the ARRL NTX website, no Facebook involved!

Thanks Steve and team!

, please excuse the brevity and any typos
73,
Robert NS5P

On Jul 10, 2019, at 14:11, AC5EZ <ac5ez.tx@...> wrote:

[...]

If you will click the tab on the left side of the home page of ARRLNTX.org  says newsletter it will take you to the newsletters.

Steve

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:28 PM Army Curtis <ae5p@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF ARRLNTX ASM/ASEC <hydrashok407@...>

Army,

I'm afraid the confusion is my fault.  I created the newsletter image, and when the newsletter is generated from the website, shared on facebook, and ultimately lands in the Groups.IO email reflector, there seems to be a little ambiguity on where to click.

I'll revamp the newsletter banner image to reflect that's where you're supposed to click.

I'm truly sorry for the confusion.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=- W5BFF
ARRL NTX Asst. Section Emergency Coordinator
Texas State RACES District 5 Radio Officer

430-342-3376 - Cell

http://www.arrlntx.org

[...]

John Hill - KF5VO

Ross,

Does that include e-mail accounts?

[...]

Robert,

Thank You !!!

We try to please everyone, often it is impossible :)

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 07:28 PM, Army Curtis wrote:
"Just providing a live link on the http://www.arrl.org/sections/view/north-texas site could really help a lot. Any way that could be done?"

Army,

I have forwarded this request to the Section Webmaster

Thank you for that Tip,  that kind of info helps me much better.

Owen Anderson

Agree, there are people who do not use Facebook, so chose
some other form to notify or publish data

Owen Anderson
KE5HRI

[...]

Owen and Others that are complaining that we only publish ARRL North Texas Section information to FaceBook

Do you know the Facts ?

We publish to the ARRLNTX.org website
We also publish to FaceBook

I also send an email to every ARRL member in the Section that has their ARRL profile settings set to get email from the Division Director and the Section Manager
Those settings are accessed via the ARRL.org website under user profile

I showed the 6 ways that Section management uses to communicate with members during my presentation at HamCom
if your were not there you can watch the archived presentation here......

Only one of those methods include FaceBook !!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XLiocywC6r4N-Ktq8xz0HE8t43c4cA4F

section@arrlntx.groups.io Integration <section@...>

By ARRL - North Texas Section

Katherine KT5KMF recently sent in her bio for the NTX section website. Click on her picture below to read more about her...