Laura Update 09-14-20 Red Cross Status 08:00

Kevin McCoy

Well, the situation may change dramatically today, and since we are 19 days after Landfall of Laura (8/28 Cat. 4 Hurricane) I thought it would be good to give you an update on the Red Cross status.

Because the majority of the greater than 7000 folks we are sheltering in TX across 49 hotels are from Louisiana, we created an Area command to combine the Red Cross response operations for the two states.  The majority of these evacuees are in the DFW area.  We have tried our hardest in cooperation with the state to keep congregate shelters at a minimum, and away from the coast!

Hotel meals

        We are using COVID-19 Protocols in Hotels to feed.  To Date more than 47,000 meals and snacks in TX for Laura Evacuees.

We have also created a separate Disaster Relief effort for Tropical Storm Sally (DR 580-21) to facilitate the movement of personnel and supplies.

On the TX side of the border we are now at 528 Major Damage / destroyed as we do hot shots on properties that were inaccessible.

The TX residents have all found their way home with the opening of Orange and Newton counties for folks to return.

Thank you note

In LA the Hotel sheltering number is around 13K evacuees, mostly in New Orleans area.  In Louisiana the Major Damage or destroyed homes is greater than 7500 homes.

Power is still a huge issue.  With more than 74,000 customers without power,  and this could get worse with impending weather.  This is the largest current impediment to folks getting home, or closer to home.  (see https://poweroutage.us/area/state/louisiana for the current situation.)

Disaster emergency
      Supplies
        Disaster Emergency Supply distribution site in Louisiana

At the same time as we are coordinating with the folks in LA we are keeping our eye on folks impacted her in Texas and we have 350 trained Red Cross workers helping here in TX.

Sally:  We are locked down in southern Louisiana today (individuals get Text message to notify on specific lock down times depending on the Parish).   The arrival of tropical storm force winds is supposed to start this morning.  Then we will open up on a parish basis depending on wind force, storm surge, etc.  Even if the storm does not intensify, we really have to watch rainfall and surge ...

National DRO
      summary Map
    H indicates a Hotel shelter, Green balloon is a Disaster Relief (DR effort)
    Number indicates the size of the DR relief effort (1 - 7)

This is a very tough time for Red Cross across the nation with 42 Disaster Relief Efforts (Storms / Wildfires mostly) and 17 Incidents that cross the national thresholds (Flood, HUR, Wildland Fires, etc.)  Literally thousands of Red Cross workers assigned.

OK.  That is a thumbnail update.

Please let me know if you become aware of a complaint or unmet need.

Pray that Sally does not intensify.

Best

Kevin @KF5FUZ