Re: [stxares] Central and South Texas Red Cross Update Hurricane Laura (09/04/20)

Kevin McCoy

ARES Operators, Quick update.  I am now reporting to the HQ for the DR which is located in Orange County TX.  But still responsible for technology in the Central and South Texas area.

As of this evening there were still 7K folks on the Texas side of the border with power issues.  (see https://poweroutage.us/)

Between Austin and San Antonio we were sheltering roughly 1000 folks (Down from 5200 at the peak).  Most from areas like Galveston were able to go home quickly.  Progress has been slower in impact areas.  Damage in Louisiana is said to be more severe.  In Texas more than 380 homes were major damage or destroyed.  We are working in partnership with the state, and we will continue to shelter folks until it is safe for them to return home.  Sheltering is also going on in Dallas Fort Worth area, the Houston area, and in locations closer to the impact area where power and infrastructure is available to support them.  We are trying to use Hotels as much as possible for COVID-19 Safety.

1400 trained Red Cross workers are on the job, and as we switch from response to recovery we are focusing increasingly on Mobile Feeding and distribution emergency supplies.  (about 47,000 - e.g. cleaning supplies, ...)

Distribution of
        Emergency Supplies

And Fixed and Mobile Feeding (110,000 Meals and snacks so far)

There has been great demand for Disaster Mental Health, Disaster Health Services, and Spiritual Care.

Folks from affected areas (eligible counties or parishes)  can get shelter assistance by calling  1-888-991-5229

Mobile Feeding

And other resources are available from 1-800-RED-CROSS and

Texas: https://gov.texas.gov/hurricane

Louisiana: https://hurricanelaura.la.gov/

Shout out to Ron N5SBN - EC for Brazos County, sent me a great note from Baton Rouge where he is driving an Emergency Response Vehicle for the relief effort.

As always feel free to reach out to me if you become aware of an unmet need.

Best

Kevin @KF5FUZ
IT / Disaster Services Technology Lead - Central and South Texas DR 538-21 HUR Laura 8/20

On 8/29/2020 12:45 PM, Kevin McCoy KF5FUZ via groups.io wrote:

Disaster
          Emergency Supplies Drive through

Disaster Emergency Supply Drive Through in Orange County TX

ARES Operators:

In the Central and South Texas Red Cross region we have 71 trained Red Cross workers, out of 900 Red Cross volunteers and staff responding to Hurricane Laura.  Our job has been to assist the state in sheltering evacuees.  Safely in the face of COVID-19.  Bexar, Travis, Hays, Williamson, and Bell Counties, sheltered about 6000 evacuees.  This was spread across roughly 30 hotels during the peek of the evacuation.  Across the operation sheltering was in the range of 14,000 people (Thursday Night).

The effort is shrinking rapidly. We are now supporting folks returning to their homes in areas where it is safe to do so. (Starting yesterday in the Capital area and today in the San Antonio area)

Last night there were roughly 100 folks left at the Convention Center in Austin - where TDEM with Red Cross assistance is sheltering the folks from counties where we are still working out safe sheltering closer to home.  With 88,000 locations still without Power and with Heat indexes over 100 degrees, we need to ensure that safe shelter closer to home is available.  Red Cross in conjunction with county emergency managers are working to get these locations ready closer to home for folks that evacuated to locations across Texas.

Volunteer Pam
        Harris doing damage assessment

        Pam Harris is a Red Cross volunteer doing Damage Assessment in the impact area.

In impacted areas Red Cross folks are beginning the work of Detailed Damage Assessment.  At this point it looks like as many as 8,000 homes may have been destroyed or have major damage.

Special thanks to operators Hector KG5OTM, Ray AE5HN, and Edward KD5JUM, who have jumped in to help in CSTR TX Region.

It takes many organizations, businesses, government, and volunteer organizations to respond to a disaster of this size.  Red Cross is only a part of this overall effort.

Thank to Michael KG5RXG and Jeff KE5FGA for keeping me apprised of standby and response capability of ARES in STX section.

Thank all of you for being our good disaster relief partners since 1935!