Re: Winlink Wednesday

John Hill - KF5VO

Welcome to Winlink!

First, I would recommend reading the Winlink Wednesday web page here: https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

The net is a wonderful way to get involved with Winlink because it gives you someone to send e-mails to, and someone to send them back.

If you're reading this message, that means you already have an internet connection, and you already said you're a ham. That's all you need to get involve in the net. The intent is to learn the Winlink software as well as your radio station setup. If your radio station isn't set-up for Winlink, you can still use a Telnet session, which I believe may be what you're referring to about "not necessarily directly through Ham Radio".

For Radio sessions, you don't necessarily need a TNC. You can use a sound card device such as Signalink. Some of the HF radios have a sound card built in. If so, you can use that with a Winmor session. We have quite a few people checking into the net through HF gateways. If there are no VHF gateways near you, then HF would be one of the directions you can go. If there are VHF gateway nodes near you, then you can use a sound card device with VHF/UHF.

Hope to see you check in this coming Wednesday.

~John Hill
KF5VO

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ARRLNTX] Winlink Wednesday
Date: Sat, November 16, 2019 9:12 pm
To: <section@arrlntx.groups.io>

Hey John,

I am the Delta County EC and I have been inactive for a while. I retired for a second time in 2017 and recently was contacted by Steve Davoust to help out in our county with Emergency Communications. There are not many active hams in Delta Co. and I feel that just being ready to help out if there I some real emergency might be enhanced by being able to communicate in more than one mode. Back in the late 1980s I was on Packet radio but sold my TNC. I understand there are more ways to access Winlink and not necessarily directly through Ham Radio. 

I have both VHF/UHF and HF capability so if I were to get involved with Winlink initially I wouldn't necessarily need a TNC (correct me if I am wrong). I don't have a tower but I have a 30' pole I am planning on putting a 2M 11 element beam up for 2M SSB this winter.

To keep from rambling too much, what do I need at this point in time do I need to get involved wit Winlink?

Thanks,
Ben Parker, 
Delta County EC
Cooper, Texas

On Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10:03:20 AM CST, John Hill - KF5VO <john@...> wrote:

Thank you all for checking in! And welcome to all the new check-ins for this week.

The question this week was:
Who is the Emergency Coordinator (EC) for your area and how do you contact the EC?

As always, I did enjoy reading the responses. If you are a local EC, please read through the attached spreadsheet at the comments, even from people not in your area. There may be info there that could lead to training sessions.

Next week we'll get to that Thanksgiving trivia, unless someone has a better question for me to ask the group.

Don't forget to spread the word about Winlink Wednesday. And, if you haven't already, check out the Winlink Wednesday web page. https://sites.google.com/view/winlink-wednesday-ntx/home

I have no more presentations coming up regarding Winlink and Winlink Wednesday. If you would like for me to do a presentation for your club, send me an e-mail at KF5VO@...

Join section@arrlntx.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.