Re: Update 3: Imelda Red Cross Relief Efforts 09-30-2019

Owen Anderson

Thanks for the info - I appreciate.

Owen
KE5HRI

On Sep 30, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Kevin McCoy via Groups.Io <kevinmccoy@...> wrote:

Owen Yes indeed,

This is too big a job for any one group to handle.  The last data I have is that they had supplied:

  • 2,500 meals,
  • 6,000 snacks and drinks,
  • 2,700 cleanup kits,
  • 500 hygiene kits,
  • 370 food boxes, and
  • 380 infant supplies.

I understand that they also had a role in initial sheltering in the Galveston area.

I also heard that they scrambled a kitchen from Bryan/College Station last week in a joint effort with St. Vincent De Paul focused on the Winnie area.  That area was VERY HARD hit and I expect the people really appreciated that extra help.

My data is old, from last week, and my numbers are probably off, so you might want to check with them - the SATERN folks have a great newsletter, and I expect they will be talking about Imelda in their next edition.

 Other groups we have worked with directly are:

  • HOPE Disaster Recovery,
  • Children’s Disaster Services,
  • Lott Carey-NBCA,
  • East Harris County Empowerment Council,
  • Lamar University,
  • Lighthouse Charities,
  • TX Baptist Men,
  • United Way,
  • Harris Center for Mental Health, and
  • Spindletop Center

Not even to mention the government groups involved.

So a lot of Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster are helping out.

Best Kevin KF5FUZ

On 9/30/2019 9:27 PM, Owen Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
I have a question by reviewing your great messages - I thought
the Salvation Army had an extensive effort in assisting in helping
the victims - did they participate?

Owen
KE5HRI

On Sep 30, 2019, at 7:48 AM, Kevin McCoy via Groups.Io <kevinmccoy@...> wrote:

Sheltering:

At last count we had 170 people still in 7 open shelters across the Texas Gulf Coast:

<Open Shelters.JPG>
Open Shelters

You can get the current status at:

https://www.redcross.org/get-help/disaster-relief-and-recovery-services/find-an-open-shelter.html

Recovery / Client Service

While we still have sheltering in process, most of our efforts are now focused on Recovery and we are staffing 7 Recovery centers:

Chambers County
??9 a.m. to 4 p.m. | St. Louis Catholic Church (**P-RAC), 315 W. Buccaneer, Winnie, TX
Harris County
??9 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Grayson Community Center, 13828 Corpus Christi St. Houston, TX
??8 a.m. to 6 p.m. | IT May Community Center, 2100 Wolf Road, Huffman, TX
??9 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Kingwood United Methodist Church, 1799 Woodland Hills Dr., Rm K 105, Kingwood, TX
Liberty County
??9 a.m. to 4 p.m. | Sacred Heart Catholic Church (**P-RAC), 3730 FM 160 North, Raywood, TX
Montgomery County
??10 a.m. to 7 p.m. | Tullis Library, 21569 U.S. 59, New Caney, TX
Orange County
??9 a.m. to 4 p.m. | St. Theresa Catholic Church (**P-RAC), 1409 6th St., Orange, TX

** P-RAC Parish Recovery Assistance Center... is basically a Multi-Agency Resource Center - a one stop shop for Client Assistance facilitating access to multiple sources of Charitable and Government aid.

We are seeing families that have been impacted by Imelda that were recovered or in recovery from Hurricane Harvey. An example of one of these resilient Texans is NASA Retiree Shirley Bryson - you can read here story here:

https://redcrosstexasgulfcoast.wordpress.com/2019/09/29/steel-magnolia-draws-strength-from-personal-experience-red-cross-help/

Feeding:

Red Cross has delivered more than 36,500 Meals and snacks to Imelda impacted families and responders. This in cooperation with businesses, Texas Baptist Men, and South East Texas Food Bank.

<Feeding.JPG>
Janet and Allan Sherman from Plainview, TX serving folks in Orange, TX.

Disaster Emergency Supplies

Red Cross has delivered more than 17,000 Disaster Emergency Supplies. Everything from comfort kits with hygiene items like toothbrushes and soap as well as clean-up kits for those cleaning their Imelda ravaged homes.

<Uhaul DES.jpg>
Disaster Emergency Supplies to affected communities
<DES 2.jpg>

Disaster/Damage Assessment

All client aid is indexed by damage. Many charitable agencies leverage Red Cross Damage Assessment information. So do governments who are working on disaster qualifications. Damage assessment is ongoing. Sometimes we discover homes that have not been assessed and do a "hot shot". Some areas are not accessible until water recedes, and Damage Assessment must wait until it is safe.

<Damage Assessment.jpg>
Damage Assessment

Health Services, Disaster Mental Health, and Spiritual Care

There have been 3,300 visits. All Health, Mental Health, and Spiritual Care volunteers are licensed professionals who donate their time to Red Cross.

<Health Care Image.JPG>

Staffing

There are currently roughly 450 Red Crossers on the job. I have rotated off for some family business. I often find in my fellow volunteers a story that triggered their commitment to help others. So it is with Rick Cowan and a flood in Liberty TX decades ago! That experience has put him on the front lines helping for more than 20 years. You can read more about him and his efforts on Imelda here:

https://redcrosstexasgulfcoast.wordpress.com/2019/09/28/as-water-recedes-hope-grows/

Usual ARRL/ARES jobs with Red Cross

As you can see, or perhaps have experienced, disaster response is a long and complicated job. Even when communications are good, it is often chaotic and confusing. It is that much harder when communications are out or overloaded as we had in the California Wildfires and Hurricane Michael. While it may be rare in any particular location, it is inevitable, and happens 6 to 8 times a year across this great nation that we serve. In my experience the jobs most frequently done with ARRL and Red Cross are: Connection to government (EOC to Red Cross connection); Disaster Assessment communication; Shelter Communication; Helping Hand Coordination; Disaster Action Team communication. Reach out to your local Red Cross to drill these types of jobs. A great example of ARRL support of Red Cross Shelter Communications in the California Wildfires is on page 88 of the October QST. While this example was using NBEMS, we have standardized on Winlink and Winlink forms in TX response.

Best

Kevin KF5FUZ IT/DST American Red Cross of TX?? [<Twitter Icon.jpg>@KF5FUZ]