Re: Field Day Winlink Message points questions

Bill KD5UEW

Or if I send it via HF and then into the internet!

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO

On 6/6/2022 8:19 PM, Bill Feltenberger wrote:

If I sent it VHF to an RMS station.

The RMS station sent it on through the Internet!

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO
On 6/6/2022 7:57 PM, Ken Hansen, N2VIP wrote:
As I understand it, no.

There was no RF involved in the transmission of the message.

One of the purposes of Field Day is to demonstrate/confirm that you can originate and send traffic from a location without existing antennas, reliable power, or internet access. Your message demonstrates your ability to send email from your computer to a server and back to your computer all over the public internet.

Ken, N2VIP

On Jun 6, 2022, at 19:48, Bill Feltenberger KD5UEW 11-309 CLO <bfeltenb@...> wrote:

So I filled out the radio gram.

I hit submit and I uploaded what looked like the text for an email message.

I sent it to myself.

I got the text of the message but no form.

When I start this process for field day is this going to be acceptable?

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO
On 6/6/2022 5:05 PM, Bill Feltenberger KD5UEW 11-309 CLO wrote:

The bottom line is use RF to generate and receive radio traffic

This is the statement for which  I was looking.

VIA RF is the answer!

Thank you.

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO
On 6/6/2022 4:33 PM, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK ARRL NTX SM wrote:
Ron,

The key is you used RF
To send these messages
To someone
That got them listed on the National Traffic Net

When someone says WinLink
That could mean it was sent via Tenet (Internet)
Sending the messages via RF (a Radio)
Is the key

Also the originator of these thread
Mentioned points
We must be careful
In that no one construes emails as the same as QSO’s points

The bottom line is use RF to generate and receive radio traffic

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Ron Adams <n5sqa@...> wrote:
In 2021, I originated 11 Field Day Radiogram messages (1 to the SM and 10 to
other hams) and sent them, via emergency power RF (VHF), using Winlink to the
RRI Winlink clearing house for Region 5.

RRI injected these messages into the NTS and they were delivered as regular
Radiograms to the eleven individuals.

I got FD bonus points for all of them.  I had to submit all of the Radiogram
texts to the ARRL with my log files.

This youtube illustrates part of the process:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtDyRF7N_w

I haven't read the rules for this year yet...maybe it's different.

73

Ron

On Monday, June 6, 2022 at 02:30:43 PM CDT, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK ARRL NTX SM <lottsphoto@...> wrote:

Bill,

Which points are we talking about?

I plan to send Email to get the points.

The Questions.
1. Does formal message mean ARRL Info Gram (Amateur Radio RADIOGRAM Text Creator)?
As far as ARRL FD Goes yes Formal traffic means generating a Radio Gram message which is sent by either CW, Phone, RTTY or any other RADIO Mode

2. Does formal message mean Email?
No.  Unless you are sending that email in RadioGram format and it is generated from the ARRL FD location via Radio
WinLink via Win Vara would work

3. Does Formal message have some secret meaning that we are supposed to guess?

ARRL Radio Gram

New thought:
4. Is Winlink a digital mode?
No for the context of a Mode for ARRL FD they are talking about FT8, RTTY, FLDIGI, AMTOR

5. Are P2P contacts allowed for Field day points?

You maen for QSO points, NO.

6. Is there a regional or state list of possible Winlink sites available for P2P on Field day?

No and I doubt it would serve the purpose you have in mind

7. I can send Email and Receive a reply via winlink should that be a contact?

No an email regardless off how sent and received is not a valid RADIO contact

Sending and receiving email if if over Win VARA  (WinLink) does not count as a QSO for points
in ARRL FD

Steven Lott Smith
Tele 318-470-9806ARRL NTX Section Manager
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

--
Bill