Re: Field Day Winlink Message points questions

Bill KD5UEW

Bill Feltenberger

KD5UEW 11-309 CLO
On 6/6/2022 2:30 PM, Steven Lott Smith KG5VK ARRL NTX SM wrote:
Bill,

Which points are we talking about?
There are points for a message to you and there are points for just messages.

I plan to send Email to get the points.

The Questions.
1. Does formal message mean ARRL Info Gram (Amateur Radio RADIOGRAM Text Creator)?
As far as ARRL FD Goes yes Formal traffic means generating a Radio Gram message which is sent by either CW, Phone, RTTY or any other RADIO Mode
Did you leave out Winlink for a reason?

2. Does formal message mean Email?
No.  Unless you are sending that email in RadioGram format and it is generated from the ARRL FD location via Radio
WinLink via Win Vara would work

I suppose this answer means it could be sent by voice. Is voice the normal method of origination?
3. Does Formal message have some secret meaning that we are supposed to guess?

ARRL Radio Gram
This is the answer that I thought was the intent.

New thought:
4. Is Winlink a digital mode?
No for the context of a Mode for ARRL FD they are talking about FT8, RTTY, FLDIGI, AMTOR

5. Are P2P contacts allowed for Field day points?

You maen for QSO points, NO.

6. Is there a regional or state list of possible Winlink sites available for P2P on Field day?

No and I doubt it would serve the purpose you have in mind

7. I can send Email and Receive a reply via winlink should that be a contact?

No an email regardless off how sent and received is not a valid RADIO contact

Sending and receiving email if if over Win VARA  (WinLink) does not count as a QSO for points
in ARRL FD

You have answered my questions.

Thank you for your speedy response!

Steven Lott Smith