SET Data

Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF ARRLNTX ASM/ASEC <hydrashok407@...>

Folks,

Well... the SET was a big flop.  I know there was a lot of time and effort put into it, and we never even got to the specific taskings because of the overall communications failures.

However, We need to finish it up.  I'm compiling all of the SET data, so if you would, please respond to this thread with your SET data.... hours, mission, successes, failures, etc.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated.

-=Jerry=- W5BFF

Leo

N5JEP.  1hr Paris EOC. 1 WL2K sent.
AR

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019, 11:06 Jerry A. Goodson W5BFF ARRLNTX ASM/ASEC <hydrashok407@...> wrote:
Folks,

Well... the SET was a big flop.  I know there was a lot of time and effort put into it, and we never even got to the specific taskings because of the overall communications failures.

However, We need to finish it up.  I'm compiling all of the SET data, so if you would, please respond to this thread with your SET data.... hours, mission, successes, failures, etc.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated.

-=Jerry=- W5BFF

Dave Martin K5YFO

2019 SET

6 HOURS

Monitored for SSB nets.

SUCCESSFULLY USED VARA WINLINK on 3.5 MHz to handle 4 pieces of traffic.  N5TW RMS WINLINK was usable on 3.5 MHz until late in the afternoon on Tuesday.  Used PACTOR 3 and longer distance RMS stations during other times to check for WINLINK TRAFFIC.

RECOMMEND: 1) more training on HF propagation and NVIS operations, 2) more preplanned communications circuits so participants know how to relay information and 3) more use of digital modes.

73 de Dave K5YFO

Well... the SET was a big flop.  I know there was a lot of time and effort put into it, and we never even got to the specific taskings because of the overall communications failures.

However, We need to finish it up.  I'm compiling all of the SET data, so if you would, please respond to this thread with your SET data.... hours, mission, successes, failures, etc.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated.

-=Jerry=- W5BFF

April 2019 SET Report
for Lamar County EOC @ KG5VK
1. Jurisdiction: Lamar County
2. Date (mm/yy): 04/11/19
3. Total number of ARES members at The EOC:    2
4. Total number of ARES Nets:    3
5. Number of ARES nets with NTS liaison:    0
6a.  Person hours:    22
7a. Number of Days this EOC was Occupied:           3

 Comments:
On the First Day of the SET April 8, 2019
We stood the EOC Early at 0900 Local
Since we had the personnel here we did some antenna building for training and built a 280 foot long Delta Loop antenna, plan was to use this as a lower corner fed antenna with the bottom of the antenna pulled away from the vertical support @30 feet for an NVIS antenna,  this antenna worked great for contact in near by states (Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma)  We did not have success with any contacts with EOC's in Texas.

We had local check-ins on the 2 meter repeater in Paris, Texas (Lamar County)
Check ins were W5KJC, KB5JT, NV7Z at 1700 Local

We established WinLink operations on the First Day with no issues
We transmitted 10 out going Wink messages to W5BFF, Received one Back (from W5BFF)
On The Second day we sent 2 WinLink messages  and received 2 from W5BFF
Day Three April 11 We received 1 WinLink from W5BFF

While the Exercise should not be considered a great success esp with respect to HF coms between EOC'S
I would not say it was a total flop, especially at the Lamar County EOC @ KG5VK
as we conducted valuable antenna build training use a spool of wire, some ladder line and some wire nuts for making the connections,  This antenna while only 30 feet high at the apex and only 3 feet of the ground at the base
allowed us to communicate with station in near by states (Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas and others)

It is this operators opinion that if this had been an emergency instead of a Test
we could have relied on Radio Operators from out of state to relay traffic very effectively
as I have seen done in the past during a major disaster

We Train to Learn, not to find that everything worked great.
I also recommend in future SETS
we utilize established NETS
for example:
7285 kHz
3873 kHz
Daylight
Night
     Emergency & Tactical Traffic Nets

As well as other Established Nets that are listed at
Such as the 7290 Net held at 1300 Local
These Nets are already established at those Times and Frequencies
because they work on a daily/weekly basis

Steven Lott Smith
KG5VK

Tele 318-470-9806
2019 ARRL NTX Section Manager