[NTX ARES] February NTX ARES Information Net

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Hi folks,
Hope every one of you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's time now for us to get back to our routine stuff. The February NTX ARES Information Net will be coming up this Wednesday, February 13th, at 2030 Hrs CT on 3860.Hope you can make it. Please bring any items you would like to present or discuss.

Here's looking forward to a successful 2019.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

Bob Jones
w5bj@verizon.net
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Thank you Bob! GOD  BLESS  From Steven Davoust ARRL DISTRICT 7 NORTH TEXAS Coordinator.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:23 PM, Bob Jones via ARES
<ares@...> wrote:
Hi folks,
Hope every one of you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's time now for us to get back to our routine stuff. The February NTX ARES Information Net will be coming up this Wednesday, February 13th, at 2030 Hrs CT on 3860.Hope you can make it. Please bring any items you would like to present or discuss.

Here's looking forward to a successful 2019.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Somehow I missed the net. Nothing heard on or around 3860 from 20:30 to 21:00.

73
David

<ares@...> wrote:
Hi folks,
Hope every one of you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's time now for us to get back to our routine stuff. The February NTX ARES Information Net will be coming up this Wednesday, February 13th, at 2030 Hrs CT on 3860.Hope you can make it. Please bring any items you would like to present or discuss.

Here's looking forward to a successful 2019.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

David -
Sorry you missed the net. We were there on 3860. Went from 2030 until 2055. Band condx okay, but not great. Had to have a few relays.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

<ares@...> wrote:
Hi folks,
Hope every one of you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's time now for us to get back to our routine stuff. The February NTX ARES Information Net will be coming up this Wednesday, February 13th, at 2030 Hrs CT on 3860.Hope you can make it. Please bring any items you would like to present or discuss.

Here's looking forward to a successful 2019.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

I had the same problem, propagation really stunk from my direction.  I never heard net control.  I did hear a few stations checking in, so I knew it was in progress.  I will try again next month, hopefully with better band conditions.
Trent / K5VES

<ares@...> wrote:
Hi folks,
Hope every one of you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's time now for us to get back to our routine stuff. The February NTX ARES Information Net will be coming up this Wednesday, February 13th, at 2030 Hrs CT on 3860.Hope you can make it. Please bring any items you would like to present or discuss.

Here's looking forward to a successful 2019.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

I’m curious, during the next ARES Net, it would be interesting to find out what antenna (vertical, dipole, loop, beam, or NVIS) everyone is using and if they are running power (above the usual 100 watts).

Budd  WB4J

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Budd -
Good idea. I'll ask NCS to have power and antenna characteristics  included with the other check in data. Thanks for the suggestion.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

On Feb 15, 2019, at 9:51 AM, Budd Johnson via ARES wrote:

I’m curious, during the next ARES Net, it would be interesting to find out what antenna (vertical, dipole, loop, beam, or NVIS) everyone is using and if they are running power (above the usual 100 watts).
Budd  WB4J

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Great idea on the antenna and pwr info!

Thinking out loud here...Could there be an alternate check-in method (DStar, Fusion or DMR) or a stream of the NCS station that would allow folks with poor/no propagation to participate or listen?

73
David
W5CWT

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019, 11:08 AM Bob Jones via ARES <ares@... wrote:
Budd -
Good idea. I'll ask NCS to have power and antenna characteristics  included with the other check in data. Thanks for the suggestion.

73,
Bob, W5BJ

On Feb 15, 2019, at 9:51 AM, Budd Johnson via ARES wrote:

I’m curious, during the next ARES Net, it would be interesting to find out what antenna (vertical, dipole, loop, beam, or NVIS) everyone is using and if they are running power (above the usual 100 watts).
Budd  WB4J

Bob Jones
972-495-8573 (Home)
972-849-3363 (Cell)

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

I’m in southern Coryell County, almost the furthest point south for NTX section. I have a 706 at 100 watts into a NVIS 80 meter dipole (7 feet above ground and bent around corners following my wood fence) and I generally have no problem checking in or heard by a “relay”.  I tried a vertical and it did not work, period!  Think about what you have and what you might need and by all means, ask for help. This 80 meter (or 40 m daytime) is for emcomm and the digital comms are another tool, but most net controls can not do multi modes. IMHO

Budd  WB4J

Coryell Co EC

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Thanks Budd. I agree! I am always on the hunt for improving my station. I’m about 30 miles east of Tyler, with a FTDX3000 at 100 watts into an slightly sloping-V 80m dipole at about 15 feet. Also have a vertical too but neither helped this week. I normally hear the NCS or at least a relay but this time was nothing. Sure it was just poor propagation.

I was really just thinking out loud about other modes that might be used when similar situations happen, especially during a real event. I’ve been much more active in my corner of the section rather than the whole NTX section, but I am not aware of any DMR or digital mode nets section-wide (I don’t have DStar capability, just DMR and WiresX.) Not saying they don’t exist...they probably do! I just don’t know about them.

Multimodes would definitely be too much for an NCS to handle, but maybe not for a designated relay station or Asst NCS tasked with digital check ins, especially if it’s only once a month. I’d be willing to do it, but my track record of actually being able to contact the NCS on 80m probably disqualifies me. hihi At the same time, it might not be very beneficial do it simultaneously (beyond knowing someone is active) since it may be difficult to share important information exchanged on one mode with the other. So definitely both pros and cons. Again, just thinking out loud.

All the best!
73
David, W5CWT
Rusk County EC

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:53 PM Budd Johnson via ARES <ares@...> wrote:

I’m in southern Coryell County, almost the furthest point south for NTX section. I have a 706 at 100 watts into a NVIS 80 meter dipole (7 feet above ground and bent around corners following my wood fence) and I generally have no problem checking in or heard by a “relay”.  I tried a vertical and it did not work, period!  Think about what you have and what you might need and by all means, ask for help. This 80 meter (or 40 m daytime) is for emcomm and the digital comms are another tool, but most net controls can not do multi modes. IMHO

Budd  WB4J

Coryell Co EC

Jay Urish via ARES <ares@...>

Hi Budd,

Here in Killeen I could hear Net Control just fine this time. I heard him say he was pushing 500 watts.

For me I was using a Yaesu FT991 pushing about 300 watts. I have a modified G5RV antenna on a 80 foot tower..

It would be interesting to see how these various antennas handle the propagations for Texas area.

73’s

Carl – KG5NFE

Bell County AEC